Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Hard start on first crank, starts right up second time. (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/25358-hard-start-crank-starts-time.html)

rmatze 01-28-2011 04:01 PM

Hard start on first crank, starts right up second time.

I'm having a starting issue with my 2004 Ranger. It's hard to start when I first turn the key. The engine turns over about 3 secs and it just cranks over and sometimes starts. If it doesn't start I wait a sec then try to start it again and it starts right up.

Things I've checked/changed:
1. Fuel pump relay (changed)
2. Inertia switch (checked)
3. Fuel filter (changed)
4. Turned the key to get the dash lights on and listened for the pump to start. I could hear it when the key was turned.

I don't have access to a fuel pressure gauge so I haven't checked that.
One of the last things I can think of is the fuel pump but I want that to be a last resort. Anybody know of anything else I should check or what the issue could be.

Thanks in advance

mcpink 01-29-2011 06:26 AM

Re: Hard start on first crank, starts right up second time.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the fuel pump to me. Had the same issue on mine.

terryduanemiller 01-29-2011 09:53 AM

something cheap you can try

The CTS coolant temperature sensor send signals to the ECU (computer) telling the engine how hot it is or isn't allowing the computer to send the ignition signals to advance or retard the timing to allow your car to be more efficient. When it goes bad it will and can cause the following conditions:
no start when warm
no start when cold
crappy gas mileage
crappy idleing.

modelageek 01-29-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmatze (Post 309379)
I'm having a starting issue with my 2004 Ranger. It's hard to start when I first turn the key. The engine turns over about 3 secs and it just cranks over and sometimes starts. If it doesn't start I wait a sec then try to start it again and it starts right up.

Things I've checked/changed:
1. Fuel pump relay (changed)
2. Inertia switch (checked)
3. Fuel filter (changed)
4. Turned the key to get the dash lights on and listened for the pump to start. I could hear it when the key was turned.

I don't have access to a fuel pressure gauge so I haven't checked that.
One of the last things I can think of is the fuel pump but I want that to be a last resort. Anybody know of anything else I should check or what the issue could be.

Thanks in advance

it could just be a gunky checkvalve. there were a few company's, Shell was one of them that had to much of somthing in it.I forget what it was. I believe they corrected it.....Autozone has TECHRON on sale 2 for 1. the stuff is great. throw a bottle in each of the next full tanks of gas.........I had the same issue and the Techron solved it..

rmatze 01-29-2011 01:42 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll try each suggestion and see where it gets me. If nothing works I think next weekend will be a remove the bed and change the fuel pump weekend. Will update when available.

modelageek 01-29-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmatze (Post 310184)
Thanks for the advice. I'll try each suggestion and see where it gets me. If nothing works I think next weekend will be a remove the bed and change the fuel pump weekend. Will update when available.

do a fuel pressure test before you pull the bed it takes 20 minutes to do....you can borrow a tester from the stores or buy one at harber frieght for $20 or an actron for $40.....how many miles on the truck? was the fuel filter real dirty?

rmatze 01-30-2011 03:44 PM

I'm going to try to pickup a gauge this afternoon. The truck has 127k. The filter didnt look to bad, it probably has about 45k on it.