Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/)
-   -   H e l p ! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/2534-h-e-l-p.html)

RANGER @ GT 09-16-2009 12:53 PM

H e l p , the batt keeps draining !!!

hope someone out there can tell me what the H to do...

2 nights ago I got home truck was running great, the next morning the battery was COMPLETLY drained nothing, had to jump start it... truck straterted normal at lunch time and then again at 5pm time to go home..... got home and this morning NOTHING again !!!! took it to a battery center they say the battery is ok, and so is the "alternator" (don't really know the name in english ) but is the little thingy that re-charges the batt...... so what else should I check????

Psychopete 09-16-2009 01:41 PM

Look for a parasitic drain on the battery. It's pretty common for the alternator to be the culprit, but you'll need to measure the amount of amps between the negative battery terminal and the negative battery post. If it's more than around 35 milliamps, then that is a good indication that something is draining your battery. If this is the case, then pull fuses while checking amperage, also unhook alternator and test.

Pete

RANGER @ GT 09-16-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psychopete (Post 14609)
Look for a parasitic drain on the battery. It's pretty common for the alternator to be the culprit, but you'll need to measure the amount of amps between the negative battery terminal and the negative battery post. If it's more than around 35 milliamps, then that is a good indication that something is draining your battery. If this is the case, then pull fuses while checking amperage, also unhook alternator and test.

Pete

Ok I'll try with the fuses first, seems like the first step...after that will try the altenator...... Thanks Psycho

RANGER @ GT 09-18-2009 02:02 PM

OK, so I pulled out 3 Fuses (that I had suspected of) I took the A/C SELENOID 25 &56a (both from the fuse box inside the engine) , the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER 11 (inside fuse box) and the GEM, RADIO 20 & 28 (inside fuse box)......... left the batt plugged all night and the truck started on the first start....... therefore 1 of these IS the problem.... when I removed the AC one I got an ¨spark¨even though the engine was off and the key removed...... could this be an indication that, that was the one with trouble and the AC has a short cut ?????

Psychopete 09-21-2009 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANGER @ GT (Post 14914)
OK, so I pulled out 3 Fuses (that I had suspected of) I took the A/C SELENOID 25 &56a (both from the fuse box inside the engine) , the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER 11 (inside fuse box) and the GEM, RADIO 20 & 28 (inside fuse box)......... left the batt plugged all night and the truck started on the first start....... therefore 1 of these IS the problem.... when I removed the AC one I got an ¨spark¨even though the engine was off and the key removed...... could this be an indication that, that was the one with trouble and the AC has a short cut ?????

Could be that the A/C clutch solenoid could be stuck, have you tried replacing the other 2 fuses leaving the A/C solenoid fuses removed? Not too fimilar with that model year, but sound like you are on the right track.

Pete

RANGER @ GT 09-21-2009 08:01 AM

Actually did it friday night, I placed back the Radio and Lights fuse ...lef the A/C Selenoid ones off... and that was it.... I read something about the selenoid usually getting stuck.... what should I do now???? is it " easy" to get it un-stuck ?? or should I take it to the shop ??

02'4.04x4 09-21-2009 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANGER @ GT (Post 15456)
Actually did it friday night, I placed back the Radio and Lights fuse ...lef the A/C Selenoid ones off... and that was it.... I read something about the selenoid usually getting stuck.... what should I do now???? is it " easy" to get it un-stuck ?? or should I take it to the shop ??

Well this is a general suggestion, learn what you can about the part specifically. This will help you learn where the individual part is and if you can get to it. You can google A/C silenoid, or just compressor and then we'll have someone that knows a little about the issue. Please remember to post your results.

Hmmm, come to think of it, just general electrical knowledge.

It should not matter if the silenoid is stuck or not. . . the relay kicks off, cutting the power. . . . . cutting the power. . . . . cutting the power. . . . . this to you I hope, clear is.(Yoda)

RANGER @ GT 09-22-2009 07:56 AM

thank you master.... I shall take it to the AC shop !! jaja

02'4.04x4 09-22-2009 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANGER @ GT (Post 15985)
thank you master.... I shall take it to the AC shop !! jaja

in the relay the answer you, will find.