Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   Ignition coil "A" CEL ?? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/25222-ignition-coil-cel.html)

Skylark65 01-26-2011 04:55 PM

Ignition coil "A" CEL ??

so on my way home from work this morning the truck decided to give me a clue on what it wants done by throwing a Check Engine Light ('bout damn time). got home and hooked my scanner to it and got:

code PO351
Ignition Coil A
Primary / Secondary
Circut malfunction

the truck has been acting like it's got a missfire for a while now but the plugs and wires are brand new, and show no signs of defects, and worked great when i installed them.

does this mean i need a new coil pack? :confused:

truck is an '00 XLT 4x4 with the 3.0 V6 / auto trans and 73,500 miles.

thanks in advance for any help!

Cooter83 01-31-2011 01:50 AM

Re: Ignition coil "A" CEL ??

I would definately say you need a new coil pack. Look on the bright side. This is the perfect time to upgrade! get a performance coil pack.

Skylark65 02-01-2011 07:57 AM

yha, i went through and checked to make sure the plugs & wires were not shorting out somehow, no problems there so i ordered an Accel coil pack from jegs on saturday. thanks for the info!

littleblue 02-01-2011 10:21 AM

You may want to do some additional testing, here is the Ford code chart for your error:

Code: P0351: Through P0360 - Ignition Coil A through J Primary/ Secondary Circuit Malfunction

Description: Each ignition primary circuit is continuously monitored. The test fails when the PCM does not receive a valid IDM pulse signal from the ignition module (integrated in PCM).

Possible Causes:
Open or short in Ignition START/RUN circuit
Open coil driver circuit in harness
Coil driver circuit shorted to ground
Damaged coil
Damaged PCM
Coil driver circuit shorted to PWR

SalRanger2 03-31-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleblue (Post 313208)
You may want to do some additional testing, here is the Ford code chart for your error:

Code: P0351: Through P0360 - Ignition Coil A through J Primary/ Secondary Circuit Malfunction

Description: Each ignition primary circuit is continuously monitored. The test fails when the PCM does not receive a valid IDM pulse signal from the ignition module (integrated in PCM).

Possible Causes:
Open or short in Ignition START/RUN circuit
Open coil driver circuit in harness
Coil driver circuit shorted to ground
Damaged coil
Damaged PCM
Coil driver circuit shorted to PWR

^^yea my grandpas truck is throwing the same code, he put new plugs, wires and coil packs. has a mis at idle and while driving, it will run fine sometimes but mostly is rough. keep us updated man thanks