Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   Remove Window Moulding (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/24778-remove-window-moulding.html)

ShoalsRanger 01-19-2011 06:03 PM

Remove Window Moulding

I have decided to paint my bottom window molding strips. They are getting crappy. Nothing...and I mean NOTHING can get rid of this crap. I am however also considering trying Forever Black, Black WOW, and even stove polish. Everything on my truck is great except these damn things...LOL.

I'd rather not paint them while they are on the truck.

Does anyone know of a tutorial or anything that shows how to remove and re-install these? I don't wanna eff them up talking them off. I heard it was held on my "clips", but then I also heard about a screw. And perhaps taking off the side mirror which scares me a bit...lol.

Any help would be appreciated. A put a pic below just in case anyone is confused as to what I'm talking about.

I would possibly be interested in some chrome strips that will either replace or cover up the 2 strips in question....but I can't seem to find any on the internet.

Oh, and one more thing. If anyone here has any already taken off....good condition or not....I wouldn't mind buying them from ya just as like a test piece...or to paint it in case I screw my old ones up. They are pretty expensive to buy from EOM.

If the answer to all of the above questions is "No", then what is the current going rate to rent "Clinton", "buggman", or "STL" for the weekend? :D

Jeff
ShoalsRanger
Formally known as: Shoals789

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...y2162/3333.jpg

tlogan91 01-19-2011 06:11 PM

Re: Remove Window Moulding

Can you just clean them?

Clinton 01-19-2011 06:12 PM

Should just be clips that hold them on....I've pulled my fair share of them at jy's. I have to warn you though, the clips may bend on removal, bend them back and they should snap back in well, just use caution and take your time. Remove the inner door panel to make it easir to see

dryin 01-19-2011 06:25 PM

try it at the junk yard first before u do it to your truck so if they break they break

stringburner 01-19-2011 07:06 PM

Or get new ones for $23/apiece from Ford.

STL 01-20-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShoalsRanger (Post 300708)
If the answer to all of the above questions is "No", then what is the current going rate to rent "Clinton", "buggman", or "STL" for the weekend? :D

I dunno what they charge. I charge 1 big mac for every state I travel through. Plus 1 big mac for the actual work.

Clinton 01-20-2011 07:15 PM

^^ Just watch out Jeff, I hear those macs give people the screamin shits

ShoalsRanger 01-21-2011 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL (Post 302028)
I dunno what they charge. I charge 1 big mac for every state I travel through. Plus 1 big mac for the actual work.

Hmm, that would come to a total of 5 Big Macs if I am correct. Geez, I dunno. Maybe after I get my taxes back.

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clinton (Post 302045)
^^ Just watch out Jeff, I hear those macs give people the screamin shits

And yes Clinton, I've been a victim of the Mac Attack before...and it's not nice.

Thanks all for your help. I've been trying to avoid taking them off. My BlackWOW (which is around $23 a bottle, but tons of good feedback on the net) and Forever black is coming in today. Ill try them this weekend and do a product review with the results. (if any)

mcpink 01-21-2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringburner (Post 300814)

I got a new set back in the summer for around 30 each. Just pull up on them to remove them, and be careful putting them back on. They dent fairly easily and you have to really push on them to get them back on.

JGiddy 01-23-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringburner (Post 300814)

i didnt know they were that cheap brand new. seems too good to be true.
knowing my local stealership those *******s are probably charging $100 a piece for them.

NewShockerGuy 04-25-2012 10:16 PM

Are we talking about the entire black trim piece around the rear window? Mine is cracking.

-Nigel