Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   back wheel lock up (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/24741-wheel-lock.html)

jack7481 01-19-2011 11:47 AM

back wheel lock up

Last night after work I was driving home when my back pasanger wheel locked up! to get out of this I put the tranny in reverse went back then foward and all was good.About a week or so ago I changed the grear oil in the back diff. this AM I checked it and it was a little low so I added a few squirts and till it was just running out I screwed the plug on and I hope take care of the problem right? There was a few people there that said possible bad axel to warped brake drum what do you say?.

modelageek 01-19-2011 11:59 AM

Re: back wheel lock up

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack7481 (Post 300296)
Last night after work I was driving home when my back pasanger wheel locked up! to get out of this I put the tranny in reverse went back then foward and all was good.About a week or so ago I changed the grear oil in the back diff. this AM I checked it and it was a little low so I added a few squirts and till it was just running out I screwed the plug on and I hope take care of the problem right? There was a few people there that said possible bad axel to warped brake drum what do you say?.

if you have a leaking axle seal it could get on the brake shoes and cause them to stick....

desjardo 01-19-2011 01:39 PM

If it was cold it may have beenm ebrake. Mine froze on and my passenger reaer wheel would only turn in reverse. I havent had issue since warming it up and getting it open again. I no longer use ebrake in winter.

modelageek 01-19-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desjardo (Post 300398)
If it was cold it may have beenm ebrake. Mine froze on and my passenger reaer wheel would only turn in reverse. I havent had issue since warming it up and getting it open again. I no longer use ebrake in winter.

it could be the ebrake lociing up. that happened to me. I swapped a new cable in on that side for $12. it took 20 minutes and it fixed the issue. the reason I was thinking a leaky seal is because he changed his fluid and in a week it was already a little low.....

Dabiscuit 01-19-2011 02:00 PM

I just had a similar problem recently. Rear brakes we locking up. Would release after going in reverse. Took apart and adjusted. one kept sticking other it fixed the problem. pads were coming apart(thanks previous owner for buying cheap pads lol). New pads problem fixed.

jack7481 01-19-2011 02:30 PM

it was cold last night temp about 12 - no leaks under truck didnt use the e break last night,but on my day off I will jack the truck up and take the wheel off and see if it's the breaks pads or warped drum.