Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   Shades of tint (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/24721-shades-tint.html)

dcarrill 01-18-2011 11:36 PM

Shades of tint

Alright well for the tint is there different shades you can get in different places and if it is what is the darkest you can get without getting pulled over every couple days for it being too dark?

Clinton 01-18-2011 11:47 PM

Re: Shades of tint

Tint laws vary from state to state, so your best bet is to check with your local PD, see if they can tell you or a DMV. Also check with inspection stations, tint can cause vehicles to fail inspection. There are many different percentages of tint out there, 0%, basically no visibility through it and it goes up from there until near 100% for high visibility.

Behind the driver can be a 0%, anything from the back of the drivers seat to the front end is regulated by individual states

bigcountry 01-18-2011 11:48 PM

every state has different laws on tint here in alabama 35% on the driver and 30% on passenger and all other windows on your back windows down here you could paint your back window black to the point to where you cant see through it and you cant get in trouble im running 20% on both windows and 5% on my back window and havent been pulled over for it yet. some stats and cities dont make a big deal over tint as long as you dont go around your town acting like a complete idiot causing chaos you will be fine

darangerdanger 01-19-2011 12:53 AM

35% seems to be the most common in most states

I'm at 15%(same as stock back windows)
I got pulled over ONCE when i was out in po-dunk-nowhere lol. All he said was to get it taken off(yeah sure no problem farva) haha. Funny thing is he tested it at 7%(obviously theyre out to get ya lol) In town(Portland) I can be side to side with a cop and they don't look twice. USUALLY it's a secondary thing once you get pulled over for something else

STL 01-19-2011 02:42 AM

Like the all said it depends on the state. Here in Missouri your front windshield cant be tinted at all except the top 3"
The back window and side windows can be as dark as you want. Except the driver and passenger window which can only be 35% which IMO is a waste of money.

TomN 01-19-2011 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL (Post 300104)
Except the driver and passenger window which can only be 35% which IMO is a waste of money.

i had 35% on my fronts at first and ripped it off within 2 hours.

dcarrill 01-19-2011 03:12 PM

I live in colorado i found 27%. Does this sound around right

DiabloBlanco 01-19-2011 03:13 PM

yes

terryduanemiller 01-19-2011 03:22 PM

Ky is 35% on all except rear window can be 5%.......... rollin with 5% on every vehicle I've ever owned... only had to pull it once.. got a ticket for improper take off in my '72 roadrunner. a dumb maneuver (showing off), state trooper was not a happy camper, so I got a ticket for illegal tint too...

RangerJustin 01-19-2011 03:49 PM

CA is probably the strictest state about tint, we are not allowed to have any on front at all, but most ignore it. I have 5% strip on top of windshield, 35% on the front sides, 5% on the rear sides and 20% on the rear window. I went with 20 on the rear as I knew it would be hard for me to see and 20% was good for me. The 35% on the front has a nice contrast with the 5% so it looks lighter at least, plus I did not want super dark on the sides as I knew it would be hard to see out them at night. Here is what it looks like on my civic:

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/IMG_1437.jpg

08Ranger Sport 4x4 01-19-2011 03:54 PM

I think I got 20% all the way around, or whatever stock privacy is, I got my front driver and passenger to match the two back sides and back. In OH I can still go 2 whole steps darker and still be legal.

klinger86 01-19-2011 07:41 PM

i live in ky and had a buddy get pulled over he had double 5% tint on his windows and from what i understand they made him peel it off there on the side of the road... but he got one over on them he took it to court and the local pd had to pay to replace the tint that they made him pull off.

dcarrill 01-19-2011 07:47 PM

the back one can be darker than the other sides can't it

bigcountry 01-19-2011 08:49 PM

yes well in AL yes it can be pitch black

dcarrill 01-20-2011 01:56 PM

alright well i dont think it will be much different here