Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   Front differential problems no 4x4 (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/24382-front-differential-4x4.html)

Tazmaniman 01-13-2011 10:19 PM

Front differential problems no 4x4

I know this question is on here a lot but I have things dwindled down and I'm just kind of perplexed! My truck is a 95 with 2.3 and 4x4. The transfer case is manual shift and is turning. The front axle hubs and are working properly, you can turn the tire with your hand and see the axle move on both sides. So what I have is no Transfer from the pinion to the axles. Is it possible the pinion end somehow broke off thus no noise in the front end? that is what is mysterious to me is that the driveshaft just spins silently, you would think you would hear chunks and bad noises!

blkranger231 01-13-2011 11:55 PM

Re: Front differential problems no 4x4

So the T-case is engaged and when you lock the front wheels via the hubs the wheels turn togather correct, sounds to me like maybe somethin wrong inside the t-case.

cowboykilroy 01-16-2011 11:09 AM

I suspect you twisted off the pinon shaft. pull the cover off, turn the drive shaft by hand and the ring gear should turn. If it doesn't, time for a tear down.If it does look at the spider gears or locker.

Tazmaniman 01-17-2011 08:46 PM

Front driveshaft is turning so there is nothing wrong in the transfer case but my guess was the pinion also because it is silent. No chunks etc.. I do realize a teardown is emminent but I was hoping to get an idea of the cost.
:joyman:

pooleo 01-17-2011 09:04 PM

make sure both your hubs are FULLY locked in. If manual. If you have auto hubs then that is more than likely your problem. Its all mechanical, If the hubs are both locked and the axles are spinning then mechanically from the hub to the axle to the spider gears is in tacked and solid. If your transfer case is powering the front drive shaft then mechanically it to is working. So the problem would have to lie in only a couple places, you some how managed to break the pinion off the shaft. The ring gear detached itself from the inner hub. The drive shaft splines have stripped and is just spinning inside the yoke.

Tazmaniman 01-20-2011 09:24 PM

They are manual, Now I've found out I have a 4:10 ratio which seems impossible to find in a junkyard. Leave it to me to get the rare bird! Well I wanted a project truck so this is turning into one! Mine is a 1995 and of course the 95-97 axles seem to be the most expensive on ebay for assemblies and then when you do find them they are never 4:10 I'm actually happy I have that gear since it is the 2.3 with 4x4 and soon to be oversize tires.