Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/)
-   -   for those that weld might want to read this (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/24204-weld-read.html)

azgilamonster 01-11-2011 08:25 AM

for those that weld might want to read this

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Do not use brake cleaner to clean grease off your metal before welding

Superlifted06FX4 01-11-2011 08:33 AM

Re: for those that weld might want to read this

I thought that was common sense... And I think this is a repost, but good info none the less.

Zipzag 01-30-2011 09:43 AM

Guess what , you better watch what you weld as well , stainless steel gives off Cyanide gas when you weld as well . So any of you guys that want to weld a kitchen sink into the bed better be careful .Theres alot of metals that give off different gass's . Use a resperater when you weld . You'll find under the health and safety act in the US or Canada your suppose to wear one . Im the shop safty man lvl 2 certified . Safety First.

Clinton 01-30-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zipzag (Post 310946)
Guess what , you better watch what you weld as well , stainless steel gives off Cyanide gas when you weld as well . So any of you guys that want to weld a kitchen sink into the bed better be careful .Theres alot of metals that give off different gass's . Use a resperater when you weld . You'll find under the health and safety act in the US or Canada your suppose to wear one . Im the shop safty man lvl 2 certified . Safety First.

I never knew that, thanks for the tip

DHEM 01-30-2011 10:11 AM

yeah anything flammable should be kept far away when welding

Bird76Mojo 01-30-2011 05:47 PM

Welding stainless steel gives off hexavalent chromium which from my training and understanding, one molecule inhaled can or will eventually lead to cancer basically. Which sucks cuz I used to weld stainless for work without a mask and I sucked in that smoke daily like a flippin crackhead.

http://www.nickelinstitute.org/index.cfm/ci_id/229.htm

GB :)

FireRanger 01-30-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHEM (Post 310973)
yeah anything flammable should be kept far away when welding

It's not that it's flammable. It's that it gives off toxic gas that will kill you.

Major376 01-30-2011 08:22 PM

ive never used cleaner, i usually just grind all my metals before welding it.

racsan 02-05-2011 12:25 PM

i thought galvanized was the really bad stuff to weld. used to weld stainless on a regular basis. i worked at a place that among other things made s.s. manifolds for the hinds accord & element. the weld table was always wet from leak testing every manifold then re-welding where it would leak. occasionally someone would spalsh a clear liquid called reactivator onto the table, when you'd start to weld , it would light the whole table on fire. or we'd replace the tungsten bits for the tig torch with sharpened filler rod for the next shift, they would change out a tungsten for a sharpened filler rod, arc on and "pop" the rod would explode inside the tig torch and you needed new guts for it. dont know how many leaky manifold went out the door, you'd get them just good enough and send them on, i know those small leakers will someday be big leaks after all the expansion and contraction cycles.

Zipzag 02-05-2011 02:31 PM

Well I might have been wrong as to what metal gives off what gas's and they all do . Being that .... Health and Safety regulation's require all worker's to wear a mask when welding . Not wearing one will cause an accumulative injury . ie: carcinogens .

Major376 02-06-2011 03:19 PM

i think the best thing i did was using an old air pump that came with a moonwalk blowup slide i used to have. i just moved it a good ways away and took some large hose that came from the slide and made a vacuum system for the fumes, that helped alot.

Zipzag 03-04-2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zipzag (Post 310946)

Sorry my mistake , its the sealers and butals that give off cyanide gas , but then so do cigarettes

fstcarkid 03-04-2011 10:19 PM

meh. shit doesnt worry me. i weld everyday seeings how im in school for it and its going to be my job. lol. really the only time i use a resperator (never) is when galvanized steel is being welded. we usually dont weld that kind of stuff tho. other than that, i breath in all the toxic fumes i can! haha

OscarMike 03-04-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fstcarkid (Post 347512)
meh. shit doesnt worry me.

I hope karma comes and kicks you in the ass for that statement.

fstcarkid 03-04-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OscarMike (Post 347521)
I hope karma comes and kicks you in the ass for that statement.

lol. ok? i really dont care about it. i know i should, but i just cant convince my self that i need to be worried about it. i got good health insurance! its my job, i take the risk because i love to weld. i understand why some people are scared about the fumes and stuff, but it doesnt scare me all that much. im still young and dumb. but im not dumb enough to spray brake cleaner on a plate i just welded on.