Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   front license plate holder (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/23797-front-license-plate-holder.html)

mehdi1993 01-05-2011 12:00 AM

front license plate holder

i have a question about my front license plate holder but its probably gonna sound dumb lol. anyway, i wanna take it off so i can paint my front bumper with some krylon but after i took my license plate off, i realized its not regular screws holding it onto the bumper. what tools do i need and what do i need to do to get the holder off the bumper?

Ranger_EDGE 01-05-2011 12:01 AM

Re: front license plate holder

drill her out!!!! :D thats what i did!

TerrenceStuart 01-05-2011 01:14 AM

it's riveted on. Drill is the only way.

S13minus1 01-05-2011 02:15 AM

Rivets? Mine had some funky plastic push pin/ anchor things...

Clinton 01-05-2011 06:24 AM

Yeah just drill the rivet/plastic push pin, its the quickest and easiest way

dewking 01-05-2011 03:56 PM

mine had the plastic push in things to i took mine off because it was flopping around. What do you guys use to re-secure it.
Regards,
Dewking

Mikerider 01-05-2011 04:08 PM

They are plastic rivets, harbor freight sells an inexpensive plastic rivet gun with rivets for like $10.

OscarMike 01-05-2011 04:13 PM

I used bolts... 1/4" works great.

dewking 01-06-2011 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OscarMike (Post 287546)
I used bolts... 1/4" works great.

Can't seem to get my fingers in there to put any bolts in, how did you do it
Regards,
Dewking

richarddhoward 01-06-2011 08:19 AM

I hit a snow bank when it was about 45 below zero, popped mine right off lol

OscarMike 01-06-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewking (Post 288035)
Can't seem to get my fingers in there to put any bolts in, how did you do it
Regards,
Dewking

On my old 2000 I was just able to reach under there to do it, I haven't had a reason to do it on my 2002 so I'm not sure...

chaddwalters 01-06-2011 05:21 PM

On my 01 its fairly easy to get it... just a little tight.

I would just put bolts back on it though not those waste of time plastic junk....

Brodie_laj 01-06-2011 06:03 PM

i wish i could take my front plate off

NewShockerGuy 10-20-2011 05:33 PM

IS there such a thing for the ranger as a no drill front license pllate bracket?

The ranger I am looking at has no front plate and I don't want to drill into a perfectly good bumper...

Thanks,
-Nigel

OhioMike 10-20-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

IS there such a thing for the ranger as a no drill front license pllate bracket?
Probably not since what would hold the bracket to the bumper in the first place? I can say that when vehicles are shipped after manufacturing, it is known where the vehicles are heading and whether or not the state is a front and back or just back plate state. Vehicles are then shipped accordingly. In other words, Ohio requires both a front and back plate. Therefore, vehicles are typically shipped with holes pre-drilled on the bumper, however, a state like Florida only requires a back plate. That state would probably get vehicles mainly w/out the holes pre-drilled in the bumper. Obviously, this isn't always the case since I've seen new vehicles w/out the pre-drilled holes for front plates. There will always be an exception, but every vehicle I've leased or bought in Ohio had a front bracket already.