Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Interior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/)
-   -   Do I have keyless entry? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/23677-keyless-entry.html)

Aficionado80 01-03-2011 07:07 PM

Do I have keyless entry?

I have a 2004 Ranger Edge. I was only given one key when I purchased it. I am trying to find out if it has keyless entry options. Where do I begin?
Thanks
Eric

ObsoleteE 01-03-2011 07:08 PM

Re: Do I have keyless entry?

Call a dealer with your vin, they should be able to tell you all of the options.

DiabloBlanco 01-03-2011 07:08 PM

x2 what rich said.

rwenzing 01-04-2011 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aficionado80 (Post 285228)
I have a 2004 Ranger Edge. I was only given one key when I purchased it. I am trying to find out if it has keyless entry options. Where do I begin?
Thanks
Eric

If it has factory power locks, then it also has remote keyless entry. Get the correct RKE fob from a dealer or eBay and program it to your truck using the instructions in the owners manual.

richarddhoward 01-04-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObsoleteE (Post 285231)
Call a dealer with your vin, they should be able to tell you all of the options.

This is how I found out the options on a couple rigs. Hell they even told me where it was origanally sold. 3000 miles away on the last one I ran.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwenzing (Post 285766)
If it has factory power locks, then it also has remote keyless entry. Get the correct RKE fob from a dealer or eBay and program it to your truck using the instructions in the owners manual.

Just because it has power locks does not mean it has remote keyless! Found this out on an ex's Toyota, no idea why, this car had every other damn option except remote keyless

rwenzing 01-04-2011 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richarddhoward (Post 285815)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwenzing (Post 285766)

Just because it has power locks does not mean it has remote keyless! Found this out on an ex's Toyota, no idea why, this car had every other damn option except remote keyless

I believe that we're talking about a 2004 Ranger here, not a Toyota...

edgeman4.0 01-04-2011 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwenzing (Post 285838)

Sorry Ricky, you got PWND.

Dont feel bad though, Bob owns everybody.. Like the ranger version of God.

richarddhoward 01-04-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwenzing (Post 285838)

I was using it as a reference, just because you have power windows, does not mean you have remote keyless, we have one here on the jobsite. That was all I'm saying

cowboykilroy 01-05-2011 07:15 PM

I was needing that answer also .what I just found out is ,do the key on key off 8 times leaving it on on the last time if it chirps the horn and locks and unlocks the doors that means it is in the programing mode and you do have remote keyless entry if it does not chirp the horn and lock unlock you dont. http://www.keylessride.com/order/ver...1&model=Ranger . their instructions say last stop of key is at off but all other instructions I have seen say you stop with key on.

Falco51 01-05-2011 08:12 PM

look underneath your passenger seat. your remote may be stuck in there. Or maybe that's just me.. And that's no joke by the way. When i bought my truck i just had a key and then probably a year later my brother was riding in the back and when the passenger moved her seat up, he looked down and a fob had fell out of something under the seat. haha. i was amazed..

westtntrucker 01-11-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richarddhoward (Post 285815)

Most rental car companies order from the factory a special package that has ye power accessories, but no remote capability so no one can rent a a car, program a fob to it and then wait for someone else to rent it and steal it. This is also why it takes to original keys to program a new key to the ignition. When you rent, you only get one key.

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowboykilroy (Post 287727)
I was needing that answer also .what I just found out is ,do the key on key off 8 times leaving it on on the last time if it chirps the horn and locks and unlocks the doors that means it is in the programing mode and you do have remote keyless entry if it does not chirp the horn and lock unlock you dont. http://www.keylessride.com/order/ver...1&model=Ranger . their instructions say last stop of key is at off but all other instructions I have seen say you stop with key on.

Key on / key off 8 times really quick and stop at the on position. The locks will cycle, telling you it's ready to program new fobs. Have all the fobs ready at on time. Even though you have a fob that's been working and want to add a second one, you will have to push a button on all to reprogram them.
Side note, do not use a single remote for multiple cars. It is possible. I hade mine programmer to my wifes Taurus, my daughters Focus, and my f350. Worked decently until one day I accidentally hit the panic and two cars went off. Pushed it again to silence the two but now the third one came on. It was an ordeal to shut them all up! I unprogranmed my fob from all but dually.

cjfbio2 04-04-2011 08:30 PM

Thanks @ cowboykilroy

klinger86 04-05-2011 09:02 AM

If you do the test and your last stop is off you will not be able to program the key fob. If your truck has keyless entry and you get the key fob stop with the key
In the on position and you can program the key fob.