Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   2010 FX4 Lock Right Questions (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/23400-2010-fx4-lock-questions.html)

skimmin 12-30-2010 11:05 PM

2010 FX4 Lock Right Questions

I have a 2010 FX4 4x4 4.0 with an 8.8 and 4.10's(open differential). In addition to my 3" PA body lift and 16" moto metal 950's, I am strongly considering a Richmond Lock Right but... I live in the Rocky Mountains and I really need some honest opinions on how well or poor this truck will handle on the winding, icy, mountain roads and highways with a locker in the rear diff. Also new for 2010 is the AdvanceTrac stability management and I wasn't sure if that would be an issue with a locker or not. (I know the AdvanceTrac applies the brakes sometimes).

bigcountry 12-31-2010 12:35 AM

Re: 2010 FX4 Lock Right Questions

scary thing about a locrite on ice is it will lock when it feels that one tire is spining to fast and not grabbing traction and it will do this at once without you knowing when and its very rough when it locks and it could throw you off the road( not my exp. i heard about this from a friend of a friend) if i was you i would look for a selectable locker or Elocker yes they are way more expensive but when you need it its just the push of a button away or switch. no the the advance trac i would go to ford and talk to some of the mechanics and get their 2cents on what they think of that. no offense to anyone here but on a truck that new i would be at ford alot to make sure i wasnt going to throw money into something that could cause me to trash my new truck. this is just my 2cents so take it for what its worth. good luck with your truck

skimmin 12-31-2010 10:32 AM

Ok makes good sense. The more people I talk to the more I hear the cons about the Lock Right and the Aussie locker/lunchbox lockers. The cons seem to be drivabillity and handling characteristics. The only issue I'm having with this decision is on a few other sites the people who own these lockers are very happy with them and have very few complaints if any. Just thought I might get some feedback from the owners here. Definately like the sound of the Elocker but not so much the price lol.

bigcountry 12-31-2010 01:09 PM

yea ive been mudding with guys have lunch box lockers and you can feel the entire truck buck when they lock but when they lock you can feel the truck wanting to go in its own direction easy to control in mud but ice id be kida worried

anchorshot 12-31-2010 02:08 PM

My brother has a Lockrite in his Explorer. It made the truck much more fun off-road, but on-road not so much. It is a ***** driving on slick wet roads. I can only imagine what it would be like driving on ice. If I were you, I would save for a manual locker. I was going to put a auto locker on my ranger but after driving my brothers I am going to wait to get a manual. Just my opinion though.