Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/)
-   -   Bad Sending Unit? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/23373-bad-sending-unit.html)

zaccornell 12-30-2010 05:18 PM

Bad Sending Unit?

Ok,

Ive always had this issue. The fuel gauge would drop to 3/4 after 20-30 miles and it continued to drop very fast. I have never put more than 14-15 gal of fuel in this truck. Therfor, there is still another 4.5 gal of fuel and another 30-60 miles. I have read the bulletin to 2001-older rangers that had a bad sending unit. Does this sound like a bad unit? I have all fresh fluids, new plugs, wires, k&n filter, coil pack, fuel filter, and poured seafoam thru brake booster fuel tank and crankcase.

I also put on the BL and tires recently and have not had a chance to program new tires. Exactly how do I go about putting the right specs for tripodometer, speedometer, and tire size? As far as the fuel gauge deal, it happened before I made any mods....and of course the mods made it a little worse.

My tank avg is 180-200 miles, on a GOOD DAY!!!!:banghead:

Thanks in advance

2002 2WD Edge 12-30-2010 05:40 PM

Re: Bad Sending Unit?

Most likely is the sending unit....otherwise a bad leak somewhere (but you would probably smell gas)....here is a list..notice for a 2003 it happens to be quite cheaper than most of the others.
http://www.autopartsdeal.com/Parts_L...t/ford/ranger/
Just so happens to be so at this place..maybe not all.

zaccornell 12-30-2010 06:03 PM

Thanks for the reply and the site.

Does the fuel pump just snap off the old unit, and snap into the new? Ive always just replaced the whole module (and also spent more $$$).

*Is your superchip worth the money?

2002 2WD Edge 12-30-2010 06:42 PM

As far as my Superchips programmer being worth the money...I'm not sure..depends on if you use all it can do. It can raise the speed and rev limiters, adjust the speedo for different diameter wheels and/or gear changes, adjust for regular-premium, and several other things. Now I've really only adjusted from stock profile (it saves that and can reset to that) to performance..no huge change..but noticeable. With the other mods it has quicker response. Put it back to stock profile and you do notice a difference but is it worth 400 or so bucks? Much more so if you make use of all it can do. A cool thing of it is it is made for Ford Gas Vehicles period...1999(or so) to now. Ist thing it does is scan what you have and saves it's profile. So while it can do basically all newer Ford Gas vehicles (their is a Diesel one) you can't do a bunch at the same time. To do another you have to reset the previous to the stock setting 1st. Now your sending unit....I'm getting this from the Factory manual for 2002 Rangers..pt#9H307-Fuel pump and sender assembly...a top mount, bottom sense fuel delivery module containing the fuel pump, fuel level sensor, inlet filter, pressure check valve, pressure relief valve and a fuel pressure regulator. The picture of the sending unit and its price suggests to me that it does not have all those things and hopefully you can take them off the old one and put them on the new yourself. I can't find anymore detail about disassembling the module in either of the manuals (2 volumes). Probably a dealer would just charge you for an entire new module. The link in the other reply I think had a toll free number?...if so maybe they can advise on that. Or another like Autozone.

zaccornell 12-30-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2002 2WD Edge (Post 281134)
As far as my Superchips programmer being worth the money...I'm not sure..depends on if you use all it can do. It can raise the speed and rev limiters, adjust the speedo for different diameter wheels and/or gear changes, adjust for regular-premium, and several other things. Now I've really only adjusted from stock profile (it saves that and can reset to that) to performance..no huge change..but noticeable. With the other mods it has quicker response. Put it back to stock profile and you do notice a difference but is it worth 400 or so bucks? Much more so if you make use of all it can do. A cool thing of it is it is made for Ford Gas Vehicles period...1999(or so) to now. Ist thing it does is scan what you have and saves it's profile. So while it can do basically all newer Ford Gas vehicles (their is a Diesel one) you can't do a bunch at the same time. To do another you have to reset the previous to the stock setting 1st. Now your sending unit....I'm getting this from the Factory manual for 2002 Rangers..pt#9H307-Fuel pump and sender assembly...a top mount, bottom sense fuel delivery module containing the fuel pump, fuel level sensor, inlet filter, pressure check valve, pressure relief valve and a fuel pressure regulator. The picture of the sending unit and its price suggests to me that it does not have all those things and hopefully you can take them off the old one and put them on the new yourself. I can't find anymore detail about disassembling the module in either of the manuals (2 volumes). Probably a dealer would just charge you for an entire new module. The link in the other reply I think had a toll free number?...if so maybe they can advise on that. Or another like Autozone.

Thanks for your help

zaccornell 08-29-2011 06:47 PM

bumpin this up, anyone else have problems w fuel gauge dropping quickly? after 35 miles im down to 3/4 tank.

SCRATCHBGONE 08-31-2011 06:01 AM

i have a 97 if i fill up when almost empty it works till the float fills and sinks...lol