Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   new shocks (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/23331-shocks.html)

strang89 12-30-2010 12:04 AM

new shocks

whats the best shocks i should get for my ranger? i have a 2 inch leveling kit in my truck right now, and sometime in the next month im going to get a 3 inch body lift. the alignment guy told me to get extended shocks because of my leveling kit??

ZWilson07 12-30-2010 03:55 AM

Re: new shocks

Quote:

Originally Posted by strang89 (Post 280521)
whats the best shocks i should get for my ranger? i have a 2 inch leveling kit in my truck right now, and sometime in the next month im going to get a 3 inch body lift. the alignment guy told me to get extended shocks because of my leveling kit??

your going to just need to get regular stock length shocks. The best shock they offer is going to be the bilstein hd's, kinda pricey tho being around $300 for all 4. Also doesn't your truck have torsion bars? if so why do you have a leveling kit added?

Regarless they arent going to make some that are extended besides the superlift bilstein shocks but again those would to long. You are just going to have to get stock length ones and even though they wont be able to absorb as good, thats just what happens with a leveling kit, n maxed front suspension.

strang89 12-30-2010 11:42 PM

alright just was wandering about the whole extended shocks thing, i didnt really understand why he told me that lol

ZWilson07 01-03-2011 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strang89 (Post 281418)
alright just was wandering about the whole extended shocks thing, i didnt really understand why he told me that lol

Because alot of people dont really know as much as they think they do and every vehicle is different and therefore all the applications can differ.

Im pretty sure your truck has torsion bars, so jw why didnt you jsut crank them instead of buying and installing a leveling kit?

nelso0a3 01-10-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZWilson07 (Post 284336)
Because alot of people dont really know as much as they think they do and every vehicle is different and therefore all the applications can differ.

Im pretty sure your truck has torsion bars, so jw why didnt you jsut crank them instead of buying and installing a leveling kit?

I have heard cranking the t-bars is bad for the steering...? B/c I was going to do it but didn't because of that. So I took the same route and went with a leveling kit too. You might know more than me...and what do you think about Ranchos?

ZWilson07 01-11-2011 05:42 PM

Cranking the t bars is similar to a leveling kit in the fact that there is pros and cons to each. When you crank your torsion bars or get a leveling kit you will have more wear and tear on some suspension parts and the ride will be a tad stiffer. But as long as you dont max out your bars, the extra wear and ride really isnt that big of a deal for the better look, bigger tires, etc.

So in this case, it would be better to just crank your stock torsion bars and save your money and not buy a leveling kit because your essentially accomplishing the same thing except your torsion bars are free. See what I mean.

As far as rancho shocks are concerned, alot agree that they aren't necessarily the BEST quality you can buy, and Bilstein shocks seem to be the favorite my many. I actually have the bilsteins right now and they are a good shock but im looking for alittle bit more adjustability. So I will be buying the new rancho 9000's that are 9 way adjustable and selling my bilsteins that have less than 100 miles on them.

DieselBrad 01-11-2011 07:32 PM

I just bought Monroe sensa-tracs. 42 a shock. not the best shock but far from the worst(ranchos)

strang89 01-11-2011 09:08 PM

how much are you selling your bilsteins for?

ZWilson07 01-12-2011 03:07 AM

yeah ive heard some people def complain about the ranchos but beens im getting the 9 way adjustable ones I figure it should be the best thing for me beens im so picky and need a shock to do different things at time. So beens I can choose whatever stiffness I wont I SHOULD like them.

and for the bilsteins, im just selling the front 2, but $125 shipped. I paid like 152 or 156 for them new so I think thats pretty fair for buyer and seller.

morabors 02-25-2011 07:09 PM

do you still have the (2) for sale? If so, what is the part number?

ZWilson07 02-26-2011 04:57 PM

yeah I still have them for sale, and part number off of summit racing is either 37122 ST or 37014 ST. those are the numbers for front and rear and I just had them wrote down and saved in my wallet. But theyve been in there for almo0st a month now so I dont remember which is which but those are the numbers for front and rear off their site.

FordDude1991 02-26-2011 05:11 PM

i love my stock ranchos

day004 03-17-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordDude1991 (Post 339690)
i love my stock ranchos

Give them 10k miles.

I'm putting Bilsteins back on.

Put them on at 12k miles, they lasted 80k.

Put Monroe Sensetracks on and after 10k miles I can barely stand them.

The Bilsteins give a great ride and excellent wheel contol