Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   4X4 not working....well sort of (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/23095-4x4-sort.html)

98offroad 12-26-2010 06:47 PM

4X4 not working....well sort of

97 Ranger, AOD,4.0, 4X4.
I'm here in north Jersey, slowly getting buried under (a forecasted) 18" of snow.
So I decided to check the roads in my truck. I start the vehicle, put auto trans into N and flip the dash switch to 4X4 HIGH....nothing. Okay, so I set it back to 2 Wheel high and start to drive. As Im driving, I can feel it's in 4WD, but light doesn't indicate it as such. As I continue, I can feel it's once again, in 2WD. So I pull over and come to a stop. I put the truck in N and turn the switch to 4WH. I wait about 7-10 seconds and put in gear. The indicator light is on, but not engaging. So I put in reverse, back up a few feet, put back into N, then shift into Drive. Light is on, but 4WD still not engaging. I drive for about 1/4 mile on a snow covered road, 25 mph, on a flat, smooth road surface.

Finally, I do the smart thing....turn around and head back home, instead of incurring the wrath of the DPW workers finding me stuck on the roadside
Any suggestions??
Dave

01_ranger_4x4 12-26-2010 06:51 PM

Re: 4X4 not working....well sort of

why are you stopping and putting it in neutral to put it n 4H? thats only needed in 4L. also, what hubs do you have? auto or manual?

ben10 12-26-2010 06:56 PM

how positive are you that its not in 4hi? when i first got mine (i grew up with old manual hubs) i swore it wasnt in 4x4 when i was in the snow, but when i had my buddy check it out, i had all the tires spinning.

98offroad 12-26-2010 07:02 PM

I have auto hubs. The reason I stopped the first time, was because it seemed to be in 4WD, but the light was not indicating that. I came to a stop to "see" if it actually was engaged. It in fact was, but as I drove, it went back to 2WD.
And yes, I allowed enough time for the 4WD to engage, before I turned the switch back. I wasnt randomly driving, and flipping switches and stopping....sorry if the OP read like that.

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben10 (Post 277695)
how positive are you that its not in 4hi? when i first got mine (i grew up with old manual hubs) i swore it wasnt in 4x4 when i was in the snow, but when i had my buddy check it out, i had all the tires spinning.

I grew up with those as well ( had over 20 of the original style Broncos back in the 80's with MH's)

I'm 100% sure it isnt in 4X4.....

ben10 12-26-2010 07:07 PM

damn sorry about your luck then, i hope you can figure it out... i want to get away from all this auto 4x4 asap for that exact reason.