Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   Tailgate won't stay closed (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/22364-tailgate-wont-stay-closed.html)

usaus 12-14-2010 07:25 PM

Tailgate won't stay closed

Hey everyone! I've been reading and learning so much lately on here, and finally joined to ask you all for some advice.

Mysteriously, I went to close my tailgate today and it wouldn't latch shut. I don't know what could have changed. The handle works fine, and both triggers are moving fine. I re-greased just to be sure, but it seems the problem is that they're not going all the way into the square that's mounted to the sides of the bed.

It's also weird that all the body panels are in alignment and the tailgate closes completely, just doesn't latch.

Has anybody seen this before? Any insights?

Thanks!!

Rangerman88 12-14-2010 10:11 PM

Re: Tailgate won't stay closed

This happend to me in my ranger... Ur rite that they dont go in all the way, let ur tailgate down, and pull the latches upward then when u close it, pull the handle out, then release it, that should work, least it did for me... Good Luck

CrimeStar 12-14-2010 10:19 PM

I have to give mine a extra little shove to make sure it latches or when I take off I hear it plop down. Haven't really looked into it though.

terryduanemiller 12-14-2010 10:35 PM

the striker plates (square things) are adjustable. I have been in the habit of closing mine gently then giving a good shove till they click, clicks are distinctive n loud , you know when it latches

dryin 12-15-2010 03:53 PM

heres one for ya mine wont open. i pull the handle and nothin happends

pooleo 12-15-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dryin (Post 268993)
heres one for ya mine wont open. i pull the handle and nothin happends

prolly the little yellow clips came off or broke that are on the linkage

dryin 12-15-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pooleo (Post 269012)
prolly the little yellow clips came off or broke that are on the linkage

how do u fix it??

pooleo 12-15-2010 05:08 PM

you'll have to stick a flat tip in there to unlatch the dogs to get the tailgate down, might need a friend to help, then just take off the inside panel, you will see it, its simple and self explanitory.

dryin 12-15-2010 05:16 PM

ill try out tommarrow if i got trouble iam sure yall will know about it lol. iam not very mechanic skilled lol.

usaus 12-16-2010 06:27 PM

Thanks for the ideas...unfortunately after adjusting the strikers it still won't latch. It feels like it's hitting something but i can't find anywhere where it's rubbing. What should I do?

I'd rather not take it to the dealer, because they're a ways away and would probably charge an arm and a leg...

Any ideas?

87bullsnkranger 12-16-2010 06:54 PM

i just readjusted my latches a couple months ago cause it was hard to open and close,then i oiled it like my dad did with motor oil,castrol syn,since its like fine machine oil,just pour a couple cap fulls down the latch's n holes where it can run down while tailgate is stood up sideways.now she opens like a good old ford.you could:cool: check that inside plate but only if you think something is bent or broken,if it is a good set of heavy line plier's will fix bent stuff.I always thought grease is to stiff for tailgates,unless on hinges,but our little rangers got plastice turn cog hinges,even motor oil mixed with a lttle singer sowing machine oil wld do it.

zukiscoot 08-09-2011 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1. open tail gate
2. remove cover bolts from back of tailgate
3. apply dry lube every where there is metal to plastic friction in the bolts on either side
4. disregard my messy desk
Attachment 7666

TerrenceStuart 08-09-2011 04:10 PM

Zukiscoot, this thread is 8 months old. I think the OP fixed it by now.

FFparker 08-09-2011 04:34 PM

Mine was doing this then i just sprayed WD-40 on it and now it closes with ease.

zukiscoot 08-10-2011 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machine090767 (Post 513511)
Zukiscoot, this thread is 8 months old. I think the OP fixed it by now.

maybe maybe not i just felt a certain sence of satisfaction that the next time i google "ford ranger tailgate wont latch"ill will get an answer that pertains to the question:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by FFparker (Post 513527)
Mine was doing this then i just sprayed WD-40 on it and now it closes with ease.

i was amazed at how much time i spent on this and how simple the solution was