Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   Tailgate emblem removal (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/22298-tailgate-emblem-removal.html)

ShadowSport 12-13-2010 08:33 PM

Tailgate emblem removal

I know a couple of others have expressed they wanna remove that stupid huge ford oval off the tailgate of their truck... as do i. Its just too damn guady! The small one off to the side was perfect.

So does anyone know IF this can be removed....with no holes left behind like in fenders? Or should I be the test dummy??? lol I got plenty of time tomorrow if anyone doesnt know.. it would just make it easier if someones done it before me!!! I got a small one left off the grille of my old truck i can use to put where it SHOULD be! :D

terryduanemiller 12-13-2010 08:41 PM

Re: Tailgate emblem removal

should be only adhesive but idk now about the new trucks

ShadowSport 12-13-2010 09:01 PM

hm.. maybe i'll try tomorrow if i can find the heat gun. Thats like finding a needle in a haystack around here though!

02maz 12-13-2010 09:03 PM

You want to send me that big one after you get it off?

Tom 12-13-2010 09:34 PM

Pretty sure there are holes...

blkranger231 12-13-2010 09:47 PM

I had holes behind mine

DiabloBlanco 12-13-2010 09:48 PM

If there are holes will a earlier year tailgate fit?

just throwin it out there.

buggman 12-13-2010 10:02 PM

I'd be willing to bet you'll have 3 holes about 1/4" diameter under the oval. :( And even worse, a smaller oval probably won't cover the holes up.

Is you oval one of those HUGE 9" wide monsters?

I've had pretty good luck removing the tailgate ovals with Goo-Gone & a long, thin knife.
Tape all around the oval with a few layers of electrical tape to protect the paint, pour on some Goo-Gone or similar adhesive remover, slide the knife all around the edges of the adhesive to start it coming off & keep adding the adhesive remover, slowly working the knife blade in until the oval pops off. Don't get too crazy with the knife or you'll scratch the paint under the oval. I've heard guys using fishing line to "saw" the foam adhesive, but never tried it myself.

Now if I were removing an oval from a junker, I'd just take a putty knife & dig into the adhesive until it breaks free.

terryduanemiller 12-13-2010 10:06 PM

use a guitar string? or a bone stick, ..then nail polish remover to remove adhesives

"bone stick"
http://www.mamut.net/Kringsjaa/870-9101.jpg

]

chaddwalters 12-13-2010 10:12 PM

There will deff be holes I'm willing to bet. Had a buddy of mine drop his tailgate one day in a garage bay and the damn thing fell off. Shouldn't cost to much to get the three holes filled in and sprayed real quick. Maybe a family member or family friend that does body work? That would litterally be a hour job if that. Then you could just get you a older emblem and stick er' wherever you wan' er'.

ShadowSport 12-13-2010 11:40 PM

ah damn damn damn and triple damn ford and there need for holes behind emblems!!! My dads fairly good at painting... he just has an issue with spraying too heavy and globbing it up lol shhh dont tell him i said that though! I uh wouldnt trust him.... but will check with my body guy he usualy does me a good deal he did all the work on my other car..which was a lot. Arghh whyyyy does ford need to put holes behind everything!!! They dont hold anything on theyre just... there!

stephen 12-13-2010 11:56 PM

I think I read in another thread that theyre will be not only holes but an indentation where the emblem is on the gate. Not sure though.

chaddwalters 12-14-2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen (Post 267497)
I think I read in another thread that theyre will be not only holes but an indentation where the emblem is on the gate. Not sure though.

I think it depends on the model, however I may be wrong. Even if there is a round indentation where the emblem used to sit this can be easily filled in when they are fixing the holes, if anything it will make the putty cover the holes better because the holes will be in the indented part - hense more putty covering the holes.

Shouldn't really change anything, unless you were just going to deal with the holes, now you would have to deal with the indent. Lol.

ShadowSport 12-14-2010 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddwalters (Post 267505)
I think it depends on the model, however I may be wrong. Even if there is a round indentation where the emblem used to sit this can be easily filled in when they are fixing the holes, if anything it will make the putty cover the holes better because the holes will be in the indented part - hense more putty covering the holes.

Shouldn't really change anything, unless you were just going to deal with the holes, now you would have to deal with the indent. Lol.

Its not worth that much cash and pain is the arse to be filled in and repainted im gonna take a shot and say a couple hundred bucks for it. I can spend that on better stuff and ignore the tail gate lol

TerrenceStuart 12-14-2010 06:06 AM

I'm willing to bet that ford puts holes in the tailgate for the emblem, so it's mounted precisely accurate and not crooked.