Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   Transmission Fluid Change? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/22028-transmission-fluid-change.html)

utahpredator_7 12-09-2010 11:06 AM

Transmission Fluid Change?

My '88 was shifting a little rough, thought maybe the trans was a little low on fluid. I checked it and it has plenty but it looks terrible. Rusty brown color with all kinds of crap floating around in it. So I'm going to change the fluid next week. I believe it takes Mercon ATF, but how much? And what's the easiest way to get it in there? I was thinking of running a hose down through by the shifter in the cab.

pooleo 12-18-2010 12:27 PM

Re: Transmission Fluid Change?

The best way is to take the shifter out of the floor, this way you can fill it right from the top. Its super easy to take out and you wont have to piss with trying to fill at the fill hole.

As for fluid, I changed both my 5spds to 75-90 synthetic gear oil. Some folks say that is not good for them. IMHO, its a gear box and needs gear oil. I have never heard/saw of a 5 spd trans fail with gear oil. I have seen them fail with ATF. My own tranny included. But, thats your call.

If you have the M5OD Trans it should take 3qts. (2.8) if you want to be exact.

Apmorse 12-26-2010 06:26 PM

What I do is use a funnel, attach the funnel to some old fuel or coolant hose and put the hose in the fill hole and pour the atf in the funnel. I like Pooleo's way too I am going to try that.

2002 2WD Edge 12-26-2010 07:08 PM

It is easy to fill a manual with fluid via the fill hole. You need a 6 inch piece of plastic tubing to stick on each container to do it without mess. I forget what size....3/8ths ID maybe? For quite a few years now both the manual and automatic use the same fluid. You don't have to do it too often..so go for a premium grade like Royal Purples transmission oil or similar. The drain-plug has a magnet at its end..that will be obvious if you have metal crap in your oil..you'll see a build-up of such on the end of the drain plug. Wipe that off and re-install the plug. Fill the gearbox until oil starts to run out of the fill hole. Filling it via the gear shifter in the cab? Regardless it will take about 3 containers. I say containers because I'm in Canada...liters/quarts/ounces...is all totally f***ed up since we partly went metric..the U.S.A. refuses to still. I drained and filled my transmission last summer...no big deal..easier than changing the motor oil. The drain plug and fill hole even have their names cast into the transmission. Both are on the drivers side. You could do it without the plastic hose..but likely spill/waste some oil.

terryduanemiller 12-26-2010 07:35 PM

I recommend removing the shifter, torx bit (star head) after draining and cleaning magnetic plug, pour thru a cheap quart of ATF flushing out any thing left after drain.. as far as type of fluid, since 1992 I've owned 3 ranger's and 2 mazda's all manuals have had no problems using Mercon 5 transfluid, servicing every 50,000.... my '98 mazda had 286,000 when I sold it and its still on the road today, saw it yesterday..

pooleo 12-26-2010 09:51 PM

OP, is your truck 2wd or 4wd? My dad did his tranny change thru the fill hole, it was easy cause he didn't have a drive shaft/TC in his way. On mine however being 4x4 it is a lot easier to fill thru the top of the shifter. I tried before with the fill hole, its just a PITA casue the shaft is there and you can't get your hands were you need them! lol

have you got the thing changed over yet btw?

nashvegas 04-23-2011 02:49 PM

I am having the same problem and will be changing the fluid. However, I have a leak... a medium to bad leak that looks like it is coming from above the drain bold.

What are some common leak spots that I could check?

pooleo 04-23-2011 11:11 PM

The 3 pins that hold the shifter in place are known to leak. There is like a rubber plug on the end of them. well, I dont know that they actually hold the shifter, but there up to the top there

Dantforth 04-28-2011 04:34 AM

I am changing the transmission oil on my 2010 4cyl. 5 speed today. I wanted Amsoil but, of course, I couldn't find it in Canada so I ordered it from the Amsoil web site. Ordered one day and here the next! It was $3.00 cheaper a US quart than in the parts store and the parts guys didn't have any and weren't sure they could get it even though it showed up on their computer. I see that they also have a 5W30 transmission oil which is specifically designed for manual synchromesh trannys. Has anyone tried it? Dave

Dantforth 04-29-2011 03:33 AM

Tranny oil changed. The old oil was quite dark and smelled "funny" the drain plug was covered with metal dust on the magnet. I bought 5 feet of clear plastic hose which was 1/2 inch OD and ran it down from the engine bay, through the steel loop provided near the filler hole and into the transmission. All 2.65 liters went in just fine. I feel better knowing that the new is in!

nashvegas 04-29-2011 03:47 PM

I was talking to a Ford (dealer) guy the other day about Mercon V vs. Gear Oil. I told him I used Lucas to change the tranny fluid. He told me that I should have used Mercon V and that it was fine to use gear oil but come winter it would lock up. I live in the south for goodness sakes...

Dantforth 04-30-2011 02:40 AM

Amsoil synthetic transmission oil is rated to exceed Ford "Mercon 5" specifications. Dealers hate any oil other than their own and will still tell you not to use synthetics. They also are very negative about us (owners) doing any of our own work as they don't get to gouge us for the same services. I have also read on this forum that using gear oil will screw up your transmission in short order. Dave

Pmikashus 06-24-2011 01:45 PM

SO I HAVE AN 03 RANGER EDGE 4X2. I like Amsoil too. Whitch should I use, Amsoil or mercon 5.........??