Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/)
-   -   '02 10A blower motor relay fuse keeps blowing - up'd tp 15A fuse and blew that too (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/22003-02-10a-blower-motor-relay-fuse-blowing-upd-tp-15a-fuse-blew.html)

drewglenn04 12-08-2010 08:31 PM

'02 10A blower motor relay fuse keeps blowing - up'd tp 15A fuse and blew that too

Hey guys, I did a search and found quite a few things on this topic but couldn't find one with these exact symptoms...

The 10A fuse blew 3 times in the past month so I put a 15A in there (I know that I'm not suppose to do that but it's been like 5 degrees out and I need heat). Anyways it blew that tonight when I shifted my gear shifter, I dunno if it was a coincidence or what so I took off the steering column cover to check for frayed wires....found none.

So do I need to get a multi-meter and check out some things under the hood now or what? Any advice on where to start will be greatly appreciated!! It's freezing here

Thanks

drppdyllwrngr 12-09-2010 04:53 AM

Re: '02 10A blower motor relay fuse keeps blowing - up'd tp 15A fuse and blew that to

there is a short somewhere. it's hard to say where, but you will need to start tracing the hvac wiring behind the dash.

terryduanemiller 12-09-2010 07:25 AM

Re: '02 10A blower motor relay fuse keeps blowing - up'd tp 15A fuse and blew that to

I wld try the relay first, before I started tearing things apart

drewglenn04 12-09-2010 08:47 AM

wheres that located? its not the 40A fuse in the power distribution box is it?

FireRanger 12-09-2010 09:06 AM

I would start at the blower and work your way back. The motor, connections, the speed control gizmo, and then work your way back to the dash controls.

drewglenn04 12-09-2010 04:24 PM

So tonite i was at a stop sign and put it in 1st gear, cause i just put a magnaflow muffler on and was checkin that out, and when i slipped the tranny into 2nd, pop went the fuse. I nocticed "transmission" is listed with this same fuse...

FireRanger 12-09-2010 05:13 PM

AH HA. The blower probably has nothing to do with this then. I do not know where to go from here though.

drewglenn04 12-09-2010 10:14 PM

Well, has anybody else had this happen before? Or where i should be checkin....?

FireRanger 12-10-2010 04:47 AM

You might want to start a new thread titled "Transmission fuse blows when shifting" since it is a totally different technical aspect.

NewShockerGuy 01-15-2012 07:47 PM

Where is the blower motor relay located?

Is it under the hood on the driver side panel box or is there another location for the relay?

-Nigel

FireRanger 01-17-2012 07:25 PM

Yes. And your manual will tell you which one.

[Sent with the FRF Android App. So people can hate me even when I'm not at my desk!]

ilfishinman 01-24-2012 08:41 PM

Pull the plug off the blower motor and check continuity between the power wire and battery negative, that will tell you if there is a short to ground blowing your fuses. Then if there is unplug the next terminal down the line and check for continuity at the power wire and batt neg again and when you get to where it has no continuity then the problem is between that spot and the last one you checked.

milkman13_69 07-02-2012 12:18 PM

hey man I've got a '02 also, and i had that exact same problem. The "transmission" aspect of that fuse is for your overdrive button. The insulation on that wire gets worn out from shifting and causes it to short out on your steering column. Just take off the plastic cover on steering wheel, trace the wire to the button and I bet you'll see some exposed copper. Tape it up and the problem will stop.

JoeMac628 08-08-2019 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman13_69 (Post 935065)
hey man I've got a '02 also, and i had that exact same problem. The "transmission" aspect of that fuse is for your overdrive button. The insulation on that wire gets worn out from shifting and causes it to short out on your steering column. Just take off the plastic cover on steering wheel, trace the wire to the button and I bet you'll see some exposed copper. Tape it up and the problem will stop.

That seems to be exactly what my problem was, the outer jacket was worn from the wire being too tight and rubbing until bare wire was exposed. I stripped off the outer jacket and then taped the 2 inside wires individually and also gave them a little slack which was needed.