Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   Help! My doors keep freezing shut. (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/21879-help-doors-freezing-shut.html)

ObsoleteE 12-06-2010 08:48 PM

Help! My doors keep freezing shut.

With the weather below freezing, it seems that every time I try to open my doors on the truck, they are frozen shut. I have to pull so hard that I am afraid I am going to break the handle right off of the truck. Their really stuck after sitting over night, and even stuck after only a couple of hours. I was thinking of some WD40 along the door seals. What do you guys think I should try?

05RangerEdge 12-06-2010 08:51 PM

Re: Help! My doors keep freezing shut.

Silicone spray on the weather stripping maybe?

littleblue 12-06-2010 09:05 PM

X2 spray both seal and door frame.

Palidun 12-07-2010 07:08 AM

I've had good luck with spraying both silicone spray and the spray graphite once a month on the seals. I've heard of guys spraying WD40 on the seals as well, but never tried it personally. You will see the benefit too that your truck will ride quieter. If you use the graphite be careful, as the cleanup of the overspray is a nightmare. Make sure you have the little tube that attaches to the button.

trcothorn 12-07-2010 07:48 AM

ive actually broke the handle off mine once because the doors were frozen shut. then another time there was a nice glaze of ice on the handle and when i went to open the door it pretty much shattered into 3 pieces.

azgilamonster 12-07-2010 07:54 AM

I'd Move :D

05RangerEdge 12-07-2010 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azgilamonster (Post 260947)

Probably the best idea! lol

tomogden 12-07-2010 11:16 AM

This is happening to me too already, and it's just hovering around freezing here. There were a couple of days when it got down to about -4 or -5C, and they were frozen tight. Pain in the ass.

dirtbagHB 12-07-2010 12:57 PM

well, ive had this problem to. but im to cheap to get silicone or graphite. ive found that if i use the ice scraper and run it along all the seams before i open the door, the door usually opens just fine. if it doesnt open, i lift up on the door handle and use the ice scraper as a level and "pop" the door open. the other trick is to make sure theres no moisture between the door and the seals before you shut it up for the night

bassplyer92517 12-07-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azgilamonster (Post 260947)

Come down to San Diego, its still 70 degress over here. Went to the beach a couple weeks ago.

crowdpleazer 12-07-2010 02:50 PM

WD-40 works great if you spray it on at least once a month. hit the hinges while your at it to keep them quiet

nauss85 12-07-2010 02:50 PM

If you spray the silicone on the weather stripping/door seals it will fix it. I have used PAM (the cooking spray) and it works wonders!

sgtsandman 12-07-2010 06:34 PM

WD-40 will work but silicone is better (less dirt attraction). Once you get the doors open, spray the crap out of all the seals.

wahvtec 12-07-2010 06:56 PM

Crisco ftw!!!

ObsoleteE 12-07-2010 07:20 PM

I sprayed the seals with WD this morning because its all I have at the moment. When I got out of work tonight, the driver door was frozen again, but opened up much easier. I will spray them again tomorrow and pick up some good shit this weekend. Thanks again guys. As for the "move" comment, I wish. FUCK WINTER. I didn't mind it so much until I started working outside.