Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/)
-   -   Gear for Winter (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/21557-gear-winter.html)

ZWilson07 12-01-2010 04:52 PM

Gear for Winter

Hey guys what do you all suggest for winter gear and gloves and such. I know alot of people like the Carhart jacket and such but I work outside all night and my parents have horses so they are out alot in it. When you spend hours in the single digit and teens, ud be suprised how just normal jackets and gloves dont do the job anymore. thanks, Zach.

dixie_boysles 12-01-2010 05:01 PM

Re: Gear for Winter

simple, carhartt with layers underneath. thats what keeps you warm is layers.

01_ranger_4x4 12-01-2010 05:05 PM

in the winter i wear my snowmobile jacket and gloves and carhart bibs with a pair of insulated waterproof boots or my snowmobile boots. i have one of those sweet mad bomber hats with the rabbit fur that i wear on my head, it looks goofy as hell but its warm! lol

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/c...THXXZcAWHsk6jZ

02maz 12-01-2010 05:10 PM

X2 on the layers and those hats are great, I got a flannel one but I like that camo one.

01_ranger_4x4 12-01-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02maz (Post 256727)
X2 on the layers and those hats are great, I got a flannel one but I like that camo one.

yeah i love that hat, i wear it out hunting and my head never gets cold. makes it hard to hear anything if i keep the ear flaps down though. check out cabalas, thats where i got mine.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cloth...271%26rid%3D20

dixie_boysles 12-01-2010 05:13 PM

i know i get hot when i wear a few layers and insulated carhartt bibs.

ben10 12-01-2010 05:16 PM

when i worked in the mountains i wore layers with silk base layers (suuuuuuper warm and comfortable plus moisture wicking) but if your gonna work hard even in the single digits you will get hot so wear something breathable. look into the carhart one pieces. and i like to work in ski gloves cause they are super warm.

01_ranger_4x4 12-01-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dixie_boysles (Post 256734)

normally just jeans and my carhart bibs will keep me warm, my snowmobile coat is warmer then my carhart coat though.

ZWilson07 12-01-2010 05:22 PM

specifically what brand certain gloves do you all recommend. link to any?

mickblock 12-01-2010 06:44 PM

It's like ben10 had said, something breathable and moisture wicking like underarmor top and bottoms under layered clothing will guard against loss of comfort due to over heating. It's a good point.

Waterproof winter work boots that keep your feet happy can go a long way toward keeping productive in miserable conditions.

I like the type of hat Patrick posted because it covers your neck and and head completely like a hood but doesn't block your vision when you turn your head.

A scarf lapped around the front of your neck and tucked in front of your chest under your coat keeps drafts from getting into your coat through the neck. Not a bulky one though just a thin flannel one.

When shopping for anything give anything made with that "thinsulator" stuff some consideration.

TurdFX4 12-01-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dixie_boysles (Post 256734)

I just wear jeans and my carhart bibs, although I went a different route with the coat. I was looking around at carhartts and wasnt pleased with how they looked/felt so I ended up buying a black dickies coat. about $30 cheaper than the carhartt and just as good if not better. I worked outside for 4 winters straight everyday. and I worked in a metal framed warehouse with absolutely no heat in it, therefore basically making it a freezer.

Very pleased with my Carhartt boots too. I also had a pair of dickies bibs that were better than my carhartt's IMO. they zipped all the way up the leg instead of just up the calf like my carhartts. But I ended up ruining the dickies while tracking a deer at 9:00 at night and I ended up knee deep in a swamp in 30 degree weather, and to make things better, the cops showed up because somebody drove by and saw us in the woods and I had my headlight on my head but I had it pointed straight up because i had a spot light, well needless to say the person drove by, saw the light pointing straight up in the air and thought somebody fell and was injured and we were looking for them? lol thats what the cop said anyways.

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZWilson07 (Post 256741)
specifically what brand certain gloves do you all recommend. link to any?

these are exactly what I have in my hunting jacket. they get that warm that I usually have to take them off from time to time

http://www.palmflex.com/youngstown-w...mo-gloves.html

richarddhoward 12-01-2010 08:28 PM

I have carharts, helly hansens, american eagle, eddie bauer and aeropostale jackets. My carharts and my Helly's are kings of my jackets, and I work construction all day, I work on equipment, that just means I am in the dirt a lot! Plus they worked well in the 20 below zero average temps that were in Montana

pooleo 12-01-2010 08:42 PM

I have these flannel lined jeans, they are fantastic for staying warm. about the same as a pair of long underwear. I also have a babushka similar to whats posted above (hat) that thing is awesome. I also wear a balaclava? I get them at the snowmobile shop. For a jacket, I have a columbia with a removable liner, I can stay out all day long and am good to go, as long as I am moving, sitting still...forget about it!

I also have a pair of mickey mouse boots I got from an army salvation type store outta wyoming, cheap to they were like $60, they are dated issue boots from the army, but new.