Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   Ford reman vs Jasper engine (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/21474-ford-reman-vs-jasper-engine.html)

02maz 11-30-2010 10:38 AM

Ford reman vs Jasper engine

My Dad has been getting quotes for either fixing or replacing my engine and the one place suggested a Jasper engine instead of a Ford reman. The jasper engine would be a little over a grand cheaper. Has anyone ever had one or heard anything on Jasper engines?

StrokerScamp 11-30-2010 11:26 AM

Re: Ford reman vs Jasper engine

I've used Ford, Jasper, Fred Jones, and on and on and on.....and they all have about the same failure rate. The absolute best reman I have found is the one I put together with my own two hands. That's my suggestion.

modelageek 11-30-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02maz (Post 255371)
My Dad has been getting quotes for either fixing or replacing my engine and the one place suggested a Jasper engine instead of a Ford reman. The jasper engine would be a little over a grand cheaper. Has anyone ever had one or heard anything on Jasper engines?

I cant answer your question, but I was wondering how many miles are on the truck? is it the 2002? was your Dad going to install the engine. How much is the total cost?

Neospyd3r 11-30-2010 11:30 AM

I've used Jasper in the past, they build an ok unit. We recently put a Jasper engine in a 1998 Taurus and seemed to be up to par with most aftermarket reman engines. I run an AAMCO near Sacto., CA... I would give LKQ a call to see what their prices are like

Psychopete 11-30-2010 11:32 AM

Suppose it would depend on warantee. I would have them install a lower mileage used engine.

02maz 11-30-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modelageek (Post 255404)
I cant answer your question, but I was wondering how many miles are on the truck? is it the 2002? was your Dad going to install the engine. How much is the total cost?

Theres 70,000 on the truck and it is my 02. My dad's not installing the engine he's just getting the prices and stuff for me since I'm at college. The ford dealer said around 5 grand for the whole swap; I don't know the exact price of the engine, I think 4 something. He's getting some prices for the jasper engine, but I think its 2 something.

They both come with 3 year warranties I think. I'm spending what little is left of my savings on this so I like the fact that the jasper is cheaper but I just want to make sure I'm getting something reliable.

I'll check out that LKQ

CrimeStar 11-30-2010 01:01 PM

I bought a grooms reman engine for mine( bought the truck with a blown motor)

Been giving it he'll for 20k miles and still going strong. Also they are lifetime warranty. Guy at the shop told me they'd even replace it the first time if you ran it out of oil. As Long as the truck stays in your name the warrantys valid. Total cost to replace was about 2500 but that was new clutch, rad, slave cylinder, and few other odd ball parts. Although I did the swap in my garage and didn't have to pay labor

terryduanemiller 11-30-2010 01:01 PM

had good luck with LKQ, but the last time I bought from them I had to eat $700 for a bad tranny they sold me, claiming it had only 48,000 miles.. they wld not refund or exchange. you should be able to (if you look hard enough) to get someone to do the swap for $400-$800. considering a reman' engine is bare, everything will have to be swapped. my nieghbor does engine swaps for $300

azgilamonster 11-30-2010 01:11 PM

I have used Jasper engines in the past and their trannys, never had to use the warranty.

soldwrangler 11-30-2010 01:22 PM

We used to deal with Jasper alot in the shop I worked at, never had anyone come back with problems. Just my experience with them, probably would go with them if I had to come up with another motor.

RAT Ranger 11-30-2010 05:09 PM

I wouldn't put a Jasper engine in my lawn mower!

I've seen em torn down after warranty expired, and one cyl was std, couple were .010, couple were .030, same thing with the crank, one jernal was 10 under, another 20 under, etc......you get the point.

Go with Ford/Motorcraft, as their warranty is 3yrs/unlimited mileage.