Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   2.9 Liter Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/)
-   -   2.9 engine issues electrical/fuel?? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/21466-2-9-engine-issues-electrical-fuel.html)

Rogue Ranger 11-30-2010 07:14 AM

2.9 engine issues electrical/fuel??

Im gonna give every bit of info i got on whats going on lemme know if you need anything else to come up with a solution.

I bought this truck on black friday from a couple of guys who had more cars than people in their family. they said it has been sitting but they started and ran it from time to time to keep it lubed up. to start out with it needed a new battery, i could jump it to start it but by the time i came out again say 6 hours later it needed another jump. the third day i was driving it on sunday morning it stopped running in the middle of an intersection and i was sure it was the battery at fault. got someone to give me a jump but wouldn't even take enough of a charge to turn the radio back on and when connected to another car with the new battery it made a clicking noise like trying to start a siezed engine. that brings me to the next day after i picked up another battery, the engine started and ran for about a minute and i thought my problems were solved, then the truck shut off almost sounding like when you depressurize a fuel line to do a fuel filter change and it gradually die in the span of 10 seconds. i replaced the positive battery cable because i thought that was the culprit that didnt work i checked for spark and spark was there theres gas smell comming out the tail pipe when the engines spinning and almost sounds like it wants to pop but theres just nothing there. to add a few more things the alternator is new, the gas tank is new, but i dont know about the pump. any help would be great this is my daily driver and the sooner i can get her back on the road the quicker i can make some money. Thanks again!

Psychopete 11-30-2010 08:17 AM

Re: 2.9 engine issues electrical/fuel??

Is it not starting anymore, or will it start and then die off? The part about it wanting to "pop", but nothing indicates that it's not starting anymore(?).

Only way to really know if it's fuel pressure related is to check the pressure w/ a gauge. But check the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator for raw fuel, may have ruptured.

Think the first thing I would do is check for key on engine off and stored memory codes for clues. Check voltage when truck is running to make sure the alternator is actually charging the battery. New alternator can't address wiring issues..

Edit:
FWIW - your truck has 2 pumps, one in tank and the other is mounted on the driver's side frame rail.

Rogue Ranger 12-01-2010 10:58 AM

does not start anymore but like i said alternator is new so is fuel pressure regulator

Psychopete 12-01-2010 12:54 PM

Are you getting gas into the cylinders? Injectors may not be firing. If you have good spark, fuel in the cylinders, and compression, ignition timing might be off. Pull codes, check your fuel pressure, etc do some basic diagnostics to see where the problem is.

joshwap17 12-01-2010 01:02 PM

check all your electrical connections to your pumps. in particularly to the high pressure in-line pump on your frame rail. ive got an 86 ranger 2.9 and its given all the same issues to me. hint to you tho.. check and re-lube all rotted electrical connections, these trucks are an electrical nightmare. i did so one day, lights were brighter, radio was louder, and once i properly took care of my pumps, my engine ran better

utahpredator_7 12-01-2010 11:51 PM

+1 on the electrical, my truck has done this same exact thing twice and both times it was wiring problems with the fuel system. I found this out after trying EVERYTHING else in the fuel system.

Rogue Ranger 12-02-2010 03:39 PM

any idea on why when its hooked up to another car for a jump even with the new battery the starter clicks when the key is turned i suppose that would be electrical?

Skadoo 12-03-2010 07:01 PM

its the fuel pressure regulator just had that problem with mine.

More_Cowbell 12-03-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Ranger (Post 257565)
any idea on why when its hooked up to another car for a jump even with the new battery the starter clicks when the key is turned i suppose that would be electrical?

it could be your starter silenoid it should beon the inner fender of the passenger side

Rogue Ranger 12-05-2010 02:26 AM

all right everyone i appreciate all the help you have swayed me into keeping my ranger i was so close to scrapping it :saint: but im gonna wait for it to thaw and attempt a re-wiring

87bullsnkranger 12-05-2010 02:36 AM

try looking at all electrical stuff ,like the silenoide there is some wireing thats at your batterylinked to the cables take a look all the way through them cause one is relay wireing to the fuel pump.even check your starter wires and connections see if they are clean,next try looking at altenator harness wireing follow what you can makeing sure it's all good not burned or fried in any way.