Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Suspension Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/suspension-tech/)
-   -   Lift desicions (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/suspension-tech/21419-lift-desicions.html)

mrshton22 11-29-2010 01:32 PM

Lift desicions

ok so i wanna lift my 99 ranger but while doing so i want to dump the automatic locking hubs for manuals and a solid front axle any ideas as to my options are ? I dont mind custom work if that is what i have to do. i was thinking the axles from under a 1/2ton 4x4 ford

blkranger231 11-29-2010 02:03 PM

Re: Lift desicions

A waggy 44 would be a better batch unless you just want to run full width, all the front ig going to be custon you can do leaves thy are the easiest, then you have coils springs ig you use the ford axles get the spring buckets also, then you have coil overs it all depends on want you want to spend.

mrshton22 11-29-2010 07:14 PM

ok so what do u mean by a waggy 44 what is the difference between that and the f150 axles i want a solid front axle no cvshafts i want ujoints right ? and what if i were to put 3/4ton axles out of a 78 f350 crewcab under it i do believe those are danas these i have i have the complete truck actually but i dont think theirs any way that 460 would fit is their ?

ben10 11-29-2010 07:20 PM

you have a lot to read sir. waggy is a jeep wagoneer, they have the drivers side dana 44 axle with leaf spring perches, the early bronco dana 44 is a hi output as opposed to the low waggy output, also the wagg is disc brakes, only the 75-77 (i think thats the right years) are disc, previous ones are drum brakes. the bronco ones are coil spring.

anything else will be wider, so you have to deal with keeping your tires covered in most states. a dana 44 out of a f150 will be considerably wider. also take into consideration the different wheel bolt patterns of the ranger wheels versus others. and you will need a different transfer case and steering will all have to be custom fab. thats just a short list, it gets a lot more complicated the more serious you get.

mrshton22 11-29-2010 07:32 PM

yeah that does sound like lot of work isnt it that the wheels cant stick out more than 6inchs per side ? ill have to look into it more by the way ben10 besides would the 4.0 even push those danas?

mazdab2300 11-29-2010 07:37 PM

o a it will have no trouble

ben10 11-29-2010 07:41 PM

the 4.0 will push whatever you want axle-wise, if you had the right gearing they would turn 2.5 ton rockwells! it more depends on what you want to do with it, the bigger and heavier you go with it the more power you are going to lose.

as far as the legality of how far the tires can stick out, it depends on the state. i believe in my state they cant stick out at all or more than 1.5 inches or something like that.... also depends on how you drive and who you know and how nice you are to the officer.

and you better be prepared, your truck is gonna be down for a while, there is a lot of custom fabrication, welding and designing.

mrshton22 11-29-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazdab2300 (Post 254948)
o a it will have no trouble

you really dont think ill loose power with the weight of the bigger axles ?

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben10 (Post 254953)
and you better be prepared, your truck is gonna be down for a while, there is a lot of custom fabrication, welding and designing.

yeah i would imagine it will be lol for a while lol

ben10 11-29-2010 07:47 PM

well right now you probably have a dana 35 under it, and a rack and pinion, and a lot of suspension stuff that you will be ripping out, the weight difference of the stock truck to one with a 44 wouldnt be too significant, but tires are going to be the thing that really lugs it down, but gearing it up to the appropriate size will mostly take care of that. if you want to drag race it then this will hinder you, but lots of people DD their solid axled rigs. with a 4.0 and sigle cab you have plenty of power. plus you can always give her more juice.

mazdab2300 11-29-2010 07:48 PM

nope not really you may notice alittle but you probably wont.

mrshton22 11-29-2010 07:55 PM

looking at 33 TSL's or the COOPER discoverer STT's which ive heard a lot about mostly good

mazdab2300 11-29-2010 07:58 PM

sounds good

mrshton22 11-29-2010 08:01 PM

ok so if i dont do the axle swap whats the highest i can lift the body without needing extensions and if i have to i dont mind i wanna get at least 8inches of lift between a body and suspension whats the cheaper way of doing so?

ben10 11-29-2010 08:04 PM

3 inch body lift and a superlift i think you can get a 5.5 inch superlift, all the other options cost a loooot more, but the superlift is under 2k, and the body lift is around 100, thats a looooot less than a solid axle swap.

mrshton22 11-29-2010 08:20 PM

ok now how bout the 4wheel drive set up id like to get rid of the automatic hubs and put lockers on it can i do this and keep the push button four wheel drive ?