Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   Transmission Problems (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/2121-transmission.html)

Bear 08-22-2009 04:26 PM

Transmission Problems

I have a 2002 Ford Ranger Edge with about 115 thousand miles or so on it. My transmission tends to shudder and change gears pretty roughly when I accelerate and decellerate. does anyone else have this problem? an if so how could I fix it without spending my entire bank account to get a new transmission.

Bear 08-22-2009 04:31 PM

Oh It's an Automatic Transmission

sniper141 08-23-2009 09:56 AM

A rebuild and a new tranny are about the same amount, so you might as well get a new one.

Bear 08-23-2009 03:28 PM

is there anything I can do myself?

02'4.04x4 08-26-2009 08:57 PM

Hmmm, this is an oldie but baddie. Most often it is not the transmission. . .
All you should need to do is change the fluid and filter for the tranny. The shifting hard is due to a variety of ECU engine issues. Anyone in doubt, disconnect your MAF connector and drive it around for 5 minutes. I would run the damnation venue out of it for an afternoon and see what buckles under the stress. Now by this I mean drive it like you stole it, not try and do burnouts till your running on aluminum. If no dummy lights then I would go after it 1 by 1. Air(easiest), Fuel, Spark, Grounds and so on. I have seen this caused by the mix being too lean, plugs being shot and a few other issues. Your plugs will tell you a wealth of information about your engine. I wanted to use this principle on my ex-wife to see what was wrong with her, my attorney advised against it.
G/L

Bear 08-28-2009 07:58 AM

HAHA. I wanted to use this principle on my ex wife. That made me laugh

02'4.04x4 09-03-2009 06:59 PM

Any luck with the tranny?

STL 09-03-2009 07:06 PM

Just wondering u the original owner of this truck?

If not do the previous owner log maintenance in the owners manual?

If not it may have never had a service done on it

Bear 09-03-2009 08:10 PM

It was my dad's before mine. He took relatively good care of it. not as good of care as I would have liked. but hey, can't do nothin about it. And no I haven't had any luck. My dad's friend is a ford mechanic though. and he's gonna help
us out soon enough.

Mustangc97 01-16-2010 02:22 PM

Does the tranny slip or hesitate? If its never been serviced then a (Mercon V) trans flush and a filter change may help. Ford has had many TSB on the fluid for shudders usually related to the torque converter. One risk though if a service has never been done and you flush it, you might flush out whats holding it together, haha.

Whats the fluid look and smell like?

hotsauce 01-26-2010 02:34 AM

i had a shuddeing like that on an F-150. turned out to be the u-joint strap was loose. i had an experienced friend tell me that after riding in it once.

put the rear on jack stands and shake the driveshaft, see if anything feels loose.