Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Crapped out. HELP (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/21059-crapped-help.html)

DangerRangerII 11-22-2010 06:27 PM

Crapped out. HELP

I bought my 97 2.3l about 3 months ago and it has been good. HOWEVER. the second day i had it i was coming down a hill in 4th and my engine sputtered and died. Still in gear and the engine was moving..... :confused:

so i pulled over turned the key and it started right up. it did it a second time a month later. turned the key. started.

then two weeks ago. turned the key. started.

saturday night it happened. pulled over. turned the key. and it just cranked.... :mad: i tried everything. hitting the gas tank. (i know, a GM fix but worth a try) i pulled the fuse and it was fine, switched the ABS and the Fuel pump relay..... checked all the fuel lines. took the distributers apart.... im lost. and right now i am riding my 06 suzuki sv650 in 40 degree weather..... bad. need my truck back ASAP

richarddhoward 11-22-2010 06:28 PM

Re: Crapped out. HELP

Fuel filter?

DangerRangerII 11-22-2010 06:33 PM

just replaced 2000 miles ago

richarddhoward 11-22-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerRangerII (Post 249920)
just replaced 2000 miles ago

crank sensor? How clean is the engine?

DangerRangerII 11-22-2010 06:37 PM

What/where is that? engine was clean untill like 3 weeks ago but its not terrible. and it was doing it before it was muddy.

richarddhoward 11-22-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerRangerII (Post 249926)
What/where is that? engine was clean untill like 3 weeks ago but its not terrible. and it was doing it before it was muddy.

It's down below by your bottom pulley. Will be I believe a two wire sensor. If you have a bunch of crap on it, it is possible your truck is not reading a signal for it, allowing it not to start.

DangerRangerII 11-22-2010 06:43 PM

hmmmm ill take a look. ive also had problems with the fuel tank.... could the pump be dead?

richarddhoward 11-22-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerRangerII (Post 249933)
hmmmm ill take a look. ive also had problems with the fuel tank.... could the pump be dead?

Oh yes, could very well do that. These trucks all have issues with em, they aren't terribly expensive

DangerRangerII 11-22-2010 06:55 PM

I used to work in a shop and we would have phantom rangers that would come to the shop and start when we turned the key... so i dont think i ever dropped a tank on a ranger. do i have to to get the pump? and is it a top mount pump?

richarddhoward 11-22-2010 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerRangerII (Post 249961)
I used to work in a shop and we would have phantom rangers that would come to the shop and start when we turned the key... so i dont think i ever dropped a tank on a ranger. do i have to to get the pump? and is it a top mount pump?

Top mount pump, easiest way to change it, 3 friends remove the 6 bed bolts and change it that way. It is top mounted in the fuel tank

DangerRangerII 11-22-2010 07:01 PM

... never even thought about taking the bed off.... interesting. thanks.

richarddhoward 11-22-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerRangerII (Post 249969)
... never even thought about taking the bed off.... interesting. thanks.

We did McPinks at the Knoxville meet, maybe 20 minutes. lol easy crap

DangerRangerII 11-22-2010 07:13 PM

alright. thanks, ill let you know how it goes. should i take the lights out of the bed first or just leave em?

richarddhoward 11-22-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerRangerII (Post 249977)
alright. thanks, ill let you know how it goes. should i take the lights out of the bed first or just leave em?

You gotta take em out, or you can't get it off the truck

DangerRangerII 11-22-2010 07:17 PM

thats what i thought. anything else i should be weary of?