Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Long Time Ranger Owner (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/introduce-yourself/21058-time-ranger-owner.html)

guyguy88 11-22-2010 06:15 PM

Long Time Ranger Owner

Hello everyone, I bought my 93 Ranger and it currently has 265,000 miles. It is a super cab with a 4.0. I'm new to this site and hopefully can get some assistance in a problem I am having with mine.

STL 11-22-2010 06:15 PM

Re: Long Time Ranger Owner

Welcome to FRF

mazdab2300 11-22-2010 06:17 PM

welcome to frf what is the problem

guyguy88 11-22-2010 06:22 PM

My 93 Ranger 4.0 idles very rough, and runs like it is on about 4 cylinders. Long as it is 3/4 to full throttle it seems to run fairly decent. If cruising at steady speed it bucks and jerks as if cutting in and out. Replaced catalytic converter, coil pack, plugs & wires, TP sensor , fuel filter. If I unplug one of the vacuum line on the throttle body the rpm's pick up and it smooths out somewhat. Even when running as it does, after engine gets to temp it will then not restart until it cools. Turns over as if not firing at all. new plugs are carboned up really bad already. had someone suggest crank sensor or ICM, but I can't just keep replacing parts. I'm here for your help please!!

richarddhoward 11-22-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyguy88 (Post 249910)
My 93 Ranger 4.0 idles very rough, and runs like it is on about 4 cylinders. Long as it is 3/4 to full throttle it seems to run fairly decent. If cruising at steady speed it bucks and jerks as if cutting in and out. Replaced catalytic converter, coil pack, plugs & wires, TP sensor , fuel filter. If I unplug one of the vacuum line on the throttle body the rpm's pick up and it smooths out somewhat. Even when running as it does, after engine gets to temp it will then not restart until it cools. Turns over as if not firing at all. new plugs are carboned up really bad already. had someone suggest crank sensor or ICM, but I can't just keep replacing parts. I'm here for your help please!!

Welcome to the FRF from the Travelin' PNW Crewman

Sounds more like an EGR valve to me, or a HUGE vacuum leak, check your vacuum lines, they tend to crack and break over time

guyguy88 11-22-2010 06:36 PM

I have checked all the vacuum lines, neighbor even sprayed a carb cleaner around trying to detect a vacuum leak with change in rpm's, but no changes unless line is pulled lose to create vacuum leak. So you think possible EGR?

richarddhoward 11-22-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyguy88 (Post 249923)
I have checked all the vacuum lines, neighbor even sprayed a carb cleaner around trying to detect a vacuum leak with change in rpm's, but no changes unless line is pulled lose to create vacuum leak. So you think possible EGR?

Tis possible, although not 100 percent certain, also a PCV valve could be suspect. How about your air filter, how's it look?

guyguy88 11-22-2010 06:41 PM

Air filter is just couple months old and PCV is a bit older, but I can remove it with no changes noted.

Clinton 11-22-2010 06:46 PM

Welcome

guyguy88 11-22-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clinton (Post 249943)
Welcome

Thanks!!

02maz 11-22-2010 06:53 PM

Welcome to FRF!

guyguy88 11-22-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02maz (Post 249953)
Welcome to FRF!

Thank you!

richarddhoward 11-22-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guyguy88 (Post 249930)
Air filter is just couple months old and PCV is a bit older, but I can remove it with no changes noted.

It may have to do with the diaphram for your fuel regulator then. Your fuel regulator diaphram dies it can cause this. I'd start there. Been working with diesels a lot lately. Gotta remember the auto side lol

2002 2WD Edge 11-22-2010 07:40 PM

Some people swear by blocking off the EGR valve...some warn against that. Just searched and saw about an equal number of both. A possible cheap fix. Have you had a code reader used yet? It might show something useful. EGR valves can fail/stick when the vehicle isn't too old. For sure you don't want to keep replacing things..likely have replaced a few already to no good effect. Code reader...and Google lots on the EGR including blocking/bypassing it. It's simpler to block it with a BB than bypass it. (yes BB as in BB gun)

TerrenceStuart 11-23-2010 12:30 AM

welcome to FRF, Guy!