Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   Toolboxes..... (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/20917-toolboxes.html)

Skylark65 11-20-2010 02:40 PM

Toolboxes.....

so lately i've been thinking about getting a toolbox for in the bed of my truck scince the cap is a pain in the a$$ for me to use (i hate not being able to acess the front of the bed).

the reason i've held off is i've had a couple of people tell me that they leak commonly, and im really looking to get one as a place to store my work uniforms & other crap that won't take kindly to the slightist bit of water.

so i just wanted to ask if anyone has any reccomendations for a box thats really weatherproof for the rain & snow, one that you know is gonna not leak.

thanks for any input :)

05RangerEdge 11-20-2010 02:45 PM

Re: Toolboxes.....

All the tool boxes I have ever owned never leaked. I keep all kinds of stuff in mine that can not afford to get wet. Even the cheaper ones I have owned have never had any problems. Just look at the lid design on them and you can tell if they might have issues.

02maz 11-20-2010 02:47 PM

Tractor Supply has good tool boxes

08Ranger Sport 4x4 11-20-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02maz (Post 248194)
Tractor Supply has good tool boxes

x2. that's where i got mine. I keep all my tools and power tools in there, along with other stuff that i'd rahter not get wet. never had a problem with it at all.

05RangerEdge 11-20-2010 02:53 PM

I have a husky now and no problems with it. I have had SEC, UWS and Tractor supply boxes with now problems. I imagine the Kobalt ones are prob decent for the money as well.

pooleo 11-20-2010 04:05 PM

If you get a tractor supply box take a good look at the linkage. The linkage failed on my TSC box. It had a really shitty designed rod that connected the two latches.

Look for a box that has the latch handle facing downward, not to the side.
These boxes have a simpler design that is less prone to failure.

The cobalt box from lowes are also good upon visual inspection, they have a cable operated latch mechanism that can be adjusted for when the cable streches.

Most if not all boxes will have a lid that overhangs on all sides, so weather proofing is not an issue. The biggy is the latch mechanism. Also, make sure to check for available parts incase the latch does fail or if you have any problems.

Skylark65 11-20-2010 04:38 PM

thanks for the input everyone! i was actually thinking on getting a tractor supply box, they seemed to have some good prices on some nice looking boxes the last time i was there. i'll probibly swing by lowes too and look at the kobalt ones scince lows is only about 1/4 mile from where i work :)

05RangerEdge 11-20-2010 04:42 PM

Tractor supply will have more options in stock usually. Lowes doesn't always stock exactly what you need as far as boxes go in my area but if they have one its should be pretty cheap.

via DroidX (Tapatalk)

Skylark65 11-20-2010 04:52 PM

yha, i know TSC had a ton in stock when i was in there, and i forgot lowes even had them, haha. but TSC is i bit more of a haul for me, (over to jersey) when i drive by lowes every day. but im going to TSC in the next couple of weeks hopefully so that i can go windowshopping & look at all the stuff i can't afford, lol :D

West 11-20-2010 05:08 PM

I have had two TSC boxes now and have had no issues with them. The first one was the "fancier" latch design that pooleo8 was talking about with the latch facing down. The one I have now is the more "conventional" style with adjustable latches. No issue with either, just had to initially adjust the latches on the second one and haven't done anything since with it.

Both of the boxes however, have had snow get inside of it when driving in snow storms. The wind must've circulated and forced the snow under the little lip. I never really bothered to fix it becasuse I was alway to lazy.

Fordzilla80 11-20-2010 05:20 PM

I have a Northern tool box on my F100, and it isn't bad at all....unless you want to mount a CB whip on it. It's really flimsy in the center on the side of the latches, so it's not ideal for mounting anything to it. Works great for holding stuff and keeping it out of the weather.

southbama man 11-20-2010 06:57 PM

Get a uws. They are the best IMO.

azgilamonster 11-20-2010 07:01 PM

My UWS box went through 3000 miles the last 500 miles was durring a downpour kinda like a hurricane on land!!! no leaks not even a drop

southbama man 11-20-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azgilamonster (Post 248410)
My UWS box went through 3000 miles the last 500 miles was durring a downpour kinda like a hurricane on land!!! no leaks not even a drop

They are good boxes. Mine is over 10 years old and no leaks or problems what so ever.

Maniac 11-20-2010 07:33 PM

i just picked up a delta toolbox for my ranger recently at a auction for 11 bucks. its a pretty heavy duty plastic one. idk how water proof they are but what i'll be keeping in mine it doesnt matter if it gets wet. but hell for 11 bucks cudnt pass it up.