Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   engine knock (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/20520-engine-knock.html)

Scruffybeast 11-12-2010 01:57 PM

engine knock

I have a 1998 Ranger with a 3.0 engine. At certain rpms, it has a knocking sound, almost like main bearings. It does not use any oil. I am wondering about using a heavier grade of oil and/or an additive to try to quiet this down. Suggestions? Scruffybeast

----------

I am not sure that this is the correct place to add something to my question about the knocking noise in my 1998 3.0 ranger, but here goes anyway. The knocking noise happens while accelerating, mostly near the next shift point of the automatic transmission. Also, the engine has 10W40 Valvoline in it at present, and it is close to needing changing. Scruffybeast

Rudansilverblade 04-23-2012 07:58 PM

Re: engine knock

*bump*
Im having the same issue now, and im wondering if my engine is running hotter than it should to create the knocking.

On my ultra-gauge i have the *Load* %tage and it seems to start around the 80% load mark... with 93-94% being the point to shift into over drive, such as going up a decent grade hill.
Im sitting just over 141K+ miles and growing. I dont want to have to bump up the octane of my fuel so im hoping someone has some solutions or possible information on this.

- Thanks in advance!

02RangerFX4 04-23-2012 08:16 PM

Check your power steering pump. Mine knocks at certain rpm's because the bearing is going bad.

Rudansilverblade 04-24-2012 07:43 AM

Nah its not RPMs... its engine load.... usually its associated with needing higher octane because the engine is running hotter and is practically misfiring.

Im gonna seafoam the engine in a couple hours ( need a nap). Hopefully thats a cheap fix... unless someone has some ideas on what to do.
If seafoam doesnt work then im gonna try the plus grade fuel to see if it works .

Rudansilverblade 04-26-2012 02:24 PM

Yesterday I used the new seafoam sprayer that is sprayed right into the throttle body.
Doing this did help out the knocking, as well as helped bring back some lost power. But did not rid the engine of the problem. And it was time to fill up the truck so I pumped in some plus fuel in, and there is 0 knocking. So...
I consulted with a mechanic buddy and we agreed that if the spray saw results, then I need to do the real thing next. Only thing is that I wont be able to do it till it is time to change the oil... near the end of may right before I head to Virginia and Washington D.C. at the end of may. So, I will repost the report then after we have successfully used the big boy seafoam on the engine.

Johnnypete201 05-01-2012 02:21 PM

Whens the last time you cleaned your egr (If you have one) and replaced the dpfe? I had a knock at idle and low rpm and doing both of these things fixed it.

Rudansilverblade 05-27-2012 06:36 PM

Update:

Buddy and I did a good full seafoam (without putting into oil) and in doing this it cleaned up all of the.knocking.
With all of the carbon that what spit out of the engine it was no wonder there was a knocking problem. At one point the amount of carbon that was being burned off, before the truck of turned off to set for 10 minutes.... the engine did a *dieseling* effect. Meaning the carbon build up caused too much pressure in the chambers as it was trying to burn off with the seafoam and made the engine continue to combustion after the key was taken out of the ignition.
Kind sacred the piss out of me for a second... but just put the key back in and put in turn on position.... gave it a little gas and it reset itself and proceeded to turn off the truck properly.
The rest is history, as I'm sure you can tell seafoam was never used on this truck... so it needed to be done.
Yes, acceleration has increased along the board tremendously.
I don't know.... if the fuel economy has gotten better.
Yes, it was completely worth doing this entire proceedure, and I will be doing it again once I am back home from going to Virginia this week.
YES, change your oil AFTER 100 miles, and do your best to run as much gasoline out of your tank IF you put seafoam into the gastank as I did.

1999ranger 4x4 05-30-2012 08:47 AM

my 1999 3.0 liter v6 flex fuel is doing the exact same thing. i bought some seefoam and am going to do the same to mine. is it pretty easy to do?

Rudansilverblade 05-30-2012 09:07 PM

Fairly yes.....

YouTube in *seafoam* and there should be many examples of how to do it. There are a couple of ranger specific one. But... DO NOT...pour in a good bit to stop the engine like one Guy did. Because there is a great certainty that you will hydrolock your engine.

Check out the seafoam instructions video on YouTube if you need more instructions.

Bigcat84 02-02-2013 12:52 AM

Bow many times is safe to seafoam??i did it yesterday 2 times with a half bottle each time and im still hearing a knockin sound when i turn my truck off.the seafoam cured the ping when driving.but when i kill the truck no matter if drove for 2 minutes or 2 hours theres a knocking sound(like someone tappin it with a hammer)comin from engine...any ideas on how to stop this???