Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Not firing #2 -#3 cyl on 1992 4 cyl 2.3L (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/20393-firing-2-3-cyl-1992-4-cyl-2-3l.html)

robuga 11-10-2010 05:34 PM

Not firing #2 -#3 cyl on 1992 4 cyl 2.3L

OK I pulled the Plugs off coil pack on front as it has two coil packs.And its not getting fire on coil pack in front on #2 & #3 cylinders.Someone is telling me its the cam shaft sensor?Anybody had this happen and changed it out and it fixed it,just don't want to go threw all this trouble to change it and that not work?I also heard it could be controle module?Plz help..

----------

I have changed both coil packs and still no fire on #2 & #3?

modelageek 11-11-2010 11:59 AM

Re: Not firing #2 -#3 cyl on 1992 4 cyl 2.3L

Quote:

Originally Posted by robuga (Post 240535)
OK I pulled the Plugs off coil pack on front as it has two coil packs.And its not getting fire on coil pack in front on #2 & #3 cylinders.Someone is telling me its the cam shaft sensor?Anybody had this happen and changed it out and it fixed it,just don't want to go threw all this trouble to change it and that not work?I also heard it could be controle module?Plz help..

----------

I have changed both coil packs and still no fire on #2 & #3?

if the coil packs are new then it is the ignition control module........be careful when replacing it that you put all the screws back in they act like grounds and it will not start otherwise........also use the jell paste on it to keep it from overheating

Shane17 02-23-2011 04:05 PM

did replacing the ignition module help? Im having the same problem on my
'94

modelageek 02-24-2011 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane17 (Post 335880)
did replacing the ignition module help? Im having the same problem on my
'94

it is either the coilpack or the icm. you can test the coil pack with a multimeter or you can swap the coilpacks and if the truck runs "differently" then it is the coilpack

Shane17 02-25-2011 04:34 PM

thanks modelageek...I swapped the coil packs already and still no fire on 2 and 3. the pack did fire all 4 on the exhaust side so im pretty sure its not the pack. Im going to get the icm tomorrow. Im just afraid it may be a $150 guess at this point. This prob started right after i changed all plugs and wires. Whats the chances of that???i checked all plug gaps and all wires have fire.....so im hoping the icm failure is pure coincedence. i checked the old icm connections for corrosion there is none......thanks.

robuga 02-25-2011 05:26 PM

ignition module was what fixed mine mounted on the side of the intake..

modelageek 02-25-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane17 (Post 338381)
thanks modelageek...I swapped the coil packs already and still no fire on 2 and 3. the pack did fire all 4 on the exhaust side so im pretty sure its not the pack. Im going to get the icm tomorrow. Im just afraid it may be a $150 guess at this point. This prob started right after i changed all plugs and wires. Whats the chances of that???i checked all plug gaps and all wires have fire.....so im hoping the icm failure is pure coincedence. i checked the old icm connections for corrosion there is none......thanks.

it most likely has something to do with the work you did

Shane17 02-26-2011 07:04 AM

well the check engine light has been on for 2 years so im thinking its been on its way out and the new plugs and wires may have finished it off. at least thats what people have been telling me. I took it to my shop at work and pluged it into a snap on scanner and got no codes. i was told since the icm is firing 1&4 fine that it will come up as working fine. make any sense???? I just dont want to put this part on for $150 bucks and it not be the problem. thanks for the help!

modelageek 02-26-2011 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane17 (Post 338381)

you swapped the the coilpacks and the truck ran the same and then same wires had no sprak?

----------

you could go to a junkyard. I know that the 91-97 4 bangers are all the same module......maybe even earlier...............it sounds strange that you did the work and at the same time blew out the ICM....however, they are a common failure and the #2 and#3 are a pair

robuga 02-26-2011 08:51 AM

Trust me it's the ICM as mine done the same thing but I got lucky and went to a junk yard and found one use for $30 :cool:

Shane17 02-26-2011 02:17 PM

well guys we have no junkyards around me for about 30 miles. so i went to napa this morning and got one $140 bucks:mad: got home installed it and guess what...now no fire at all. at least truck was running on 2 cylinders. now it will not fire at all. took the new one off to try and see if i could atleast get fire off the old one and discovered a broken bolt in the intake where the icm mounts. I heard that these bolts act as grounds for the icm any is this true. I find it really hard to believe the thing wont fire just cause of 1 broke bolt holding it in. i get no fire off the old one now either. Im ready to have a roll back come haul it away. cant keep dumping money in it. a friend is coming tomorrow to try to remove the broke bolt. any suggestions???thanks

modelageek 02-26-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane17 (Post 339509)
well guys we have no junkyards around me for about 30 miles. so i went to napa this morning and got one $140 bucks:mad: got home installed it and guess what...now no fire at all. at least truck was running on 2 cylinders. now it will not fire at all. took the new one off to try and see if i could atleast get fire off the old one and discovered a broken bolt in the intake where the icm mounts. I heard that these bolts act as grounds for the icm any is this true. I find it really hard to believe the thing wont fire just cause of 1 broke bolt holding it in. i get no fire off the old one now either. Im ready to have a roll back come haul it away. cant keep dumping money in it. a friend is coming tomorrow to try to remove the broke bolt. any suggestions???thanks

it's the bolt!!!

Shane17 02-26-2011 03:26 PM

thats crazy!!! i really hope your right. I got a buddy coming over tomorrow to try and get the bolt out. he says it should be no problem since some of the bolt is sticking out still. I still think its a little wild that one 7/16 bolt can keep a engine from firing up..thanks alot ill post tomorrow what the results are. the broken bolt is the lower left one. which i have read on some other forums that that is the most critical bolt as it is the onew which grounds the icm.

boblove1 02-26-2011 08:25 PM

7/16 Bolt sounds a bit large for a coil pack.. Do you mean 1/4" Bolt (7/16" Wrench). I just changed my ICM and it only had 3 of the 4 screws. They were only about a #8 Machine screw holding it down. It's weird that the problem would occur after a plug change. Is it possible that you got the plugs wire reinstall incorrectly on the coil pack.... I have that info if needed....

Shane17 02-27-2011 06:11 AM

yeah the head is 7/16. no there is no way the plug wires are crossed up. i have swapped coil packs swapped plug wires checked the fire order everything i can think of. it just happened to quit after plug change i guess. i have had the truck since 97 so if the bolt extraction and icm reinstall fails i think its bye bye ranger.which hurts me cause i love the truck..just cant keep dumping money in a 17 year old truck..although its never cost me anything till this deal. thanks guys!