Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   2.9 Liter Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/)
-   -   Fuel pump pressure = 40lbs? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/20309-fuel-pump-pressure-40lbs.html)

67hardtop 11-09-2010 10:06 AM

Fuel pump pressure = 40lbs?

I measured the fuel pressure at the valve on the fuel rail. I get a constant 32lbs even while driving. The regulator holds the pressure (its new). Should the pressure be higher? I replaced all of my injectors this weekend and that fixed some of my problems (#5 cylinder injector was not working), but not all of my problems. The engine still sputters and it always dies right after starting in the morning unless I give it some gas. After it dies, I turn it over and it starts and runs.

So, I'm still stumped.:(

I still have not replaced the throttle position sensor or the fuel pump assembly in the tank, but I'm guessing the pump first. BTW, I still have no check engine light codes.

Psychopete 11-15-2010 08:02 AM

Re: Fuel pump pressure = 40lbs?

32psi is about right. TPS sensor is testable with an analog volt meter. Just want to watch the voltage back to the computer and make sure the needle on the meter sweeps nice and smoothly as you're operating the throttle from ~.9v - just under 5v. One wire to the tps is ground, one is 5 volt constant, and the other is the signal. Make sure the throttle body plate is nice and clean, excessive carbon there can cause issues. Have you have a chance to check for codes - key on engine off, stored memory, and key on engine running? ECT can cause starting problems, but would recommend running though the diagnostic tests.

524SUPPORT 12-17-2010 06:45 PM

I never had a problem with my 2003 ford ranger edge pickup...a week ago i didnt get any acceleration and i heard popping sounds...i changed the spark plugs and after a while i replaced the spark plugs again and they were burnt like gas wasnt going to the fuel injectors and into the cylinder..i take to a mechanic for a diagnostic..then without my permission they replace the fuel pump fuel, pulse damper, temp send w gauge, coolant temp sender, oxygen sensor, fuel filter.. Can all the fuel injectors go bad at the same time..the mechanic said that one of the fuel injectors were bad and now he replaced all of them? He said that since one of the injectors went bad thats why hes getting an uneven voltage 6 on one side and 10 on the other and when he replaces the injector that both sides will be the same at 8..please help..i think this guy is trying to fool me..he said he was going to charge me 700 dollars to do everything..i said ok..today he calls me to go in and he says it is 2000 dollars now...i cant afford it im a disabled air force service member receiving disability payments..i only make 12k a year to survive..please help me..i dont know what to do...if this mechanic made repairs that i didnt authorize can he charge me..i have not signed one piece of paper..there is nothing but a verbal agreement to diagnose the truck and replace the fuel pump and one fuel injector and sensors for a total cost of 700 dollars...is he going to remove everything and destroy my truck..please help me

Psychopete 12-20-2010 06:25 AM

I am not sure what I would do either besides trying to get that out of that shop asap. I would make it clear that those repairs were not authorized and that you had agreed to only the $700. I would be tempted to try and get a hold of someone at the BBB to try and get some guidance on how to deal with the situation. They like to change all injectors at once; their theory is if one goes bad, the others are about to fail also. If I take something to a shop, I usually explicitly say (and make it VERY clear) to call before doing any work at all w/o an estimate of how much it's going to cost.

524SUPPORT 12-20-2010 12:05 PM

Thank you for responding..you helped me and i will return the favor..my email is bosque_jose@hotmail.com..if you ever need anything justnlet me know ranger brother

----------

I have another question..what is the best first step ti take to improve my truck..i want to do stuff to it but i havent gotten around to doing research..could you point me in the right direction..thankx

Psychopete 12-20-2010 02:09 PM

Just wish I had a better answer for you. :( Just never been there, I hope that everything works out in your favor. I think the BBB can get you in the right direction though, at least I would at least try and see what they say. Sucks to had to happen the toughest time of the year, too.