Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   Cleaning Headlights? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/19993-cleaning-headlights.html)

Bighomedog11 11-03-2010 07:55 PM

Cleaning Headlights?

Hey I am wondering what is the best way to clean my headlights to get them back clear again? They got a little smug and yellow stuff on them from the light burning so much. I know there is kits to remove that to clear them but i was wondering is there anything else i can get instead of having to do the whole kit process? Any kind of spray or something

terryduanemiller 11-03-2010 07:58 PM

Re: Cleaning Headlights?

inside? not mauch u can do.. outside? keep 'em waxed.

Bighomedog11 11-03-2010 08:00 PM

Yeah the outside. I know there's away to clean them to make them back crisp clear again.

CrimeStar 11-03-2010 08:15 PM

wetsand them with a really fine grit, then buff them would be my suggestion.

azgilamonster 11-03-2010 08:23 PM

I used 2000 grit wet sand and then wipe down with rubbing alcohol then when completley dry spray with clear coat.
mine look like brand new. I learned this from an old car salesman
mine are crystal clear again, he said it last about 1-2 years

terryduanemiller 11-03-2010 08:26 PM

waxing will work fine, lil elbow grease wont hurt-cha.... if you're not use to a buffer, you can melt the plastic quick (screw 'em up beyond repair)... if u do want to buff, like crimestar said fine sand paper, wet sand with no coarser than 1200, then buff (light pressure ..fine mist water on while buffing will keep buffing pad wet and cool to prevent over heating plastic), then finish with wax..

----------

to prevent aging, you can clear them, when preping 1500-2000 sand paper only, or scratches will show and b hazy.. make sure to clean with a good prep solvent to remove any dust or contaminates before clearing.. and if you use a good automotive clear like Dupont or R-M.. they'll keep for many, many years

Bighomedog11 11-03-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azgilamonster (Post 235501)
I used 2000 grit wet sand and then wipe down with rubbing alcohol then when completley dry spray with clear coat.
mine look like brand new. I learned this from an old car salesman
mine are crystal clear again, he said it last about 1-2 years

You spray your lights with clear coat spray paint?

What kind of wax should i use? I do have some lithium grease..

TXCOMT 11-05-2010 02:21 PM

To be honest, mine have stayed nice and clear since I had a local tint shop put 3M headlight safety film on 'em. Through thousands of miles in Colorado and Montana (and now Texas), they've done the job. The stuff even held together one of the stock foglight lenses after it received a nasty, direct hit from a rock. It's great. Here's a link to what I believe is the same stuff.

Mike H.

azgilamonster 11-05-2010 02:34 PM

never waxed mine, and only had the headlights done about 5k miles ago and even traveld from AZ to MO and no problems.

MattFetters 11-05-2010 02:40 PM

3M makes a good kit for restoring them, afterwards, you could look in to picking up some lamin-x on www.lamin-x.com

2010 11-05-2010 09:38 PM

any special wax or stuff to protect them?? what about putting armor all on the headlights when a truck is new??

terryduanemiller 11-05-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010 (Post 237070)
any special wax or stuff to protect them?? what about putting armor all on the headlights when a truck is new??

armor all will wash off, any wax will work, I suggest good wax.... but anything is better than none

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bighomedog11 (Post 235480)
Yeah the outside. I know there's away to clean them to make them back crisp clear again.

the 3M bug shield does work nicely, find a RV/coach dealership.. usually theres a guy around that does the 3M shield repairs/add-ons. most guys will do head lights for $20.00 ....the 3M product is clear as glass but soft n rubbery feeling, it will deflect rocks and other abrasives, and UV protect the lenses

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXCOMT (Post 236776)
To be honest, mine have stayed nice and clear since I had a local tint shop put 3M headlight safety film on 'em. Through thousands of miles in Colorado and Montana (and now Texas), they've done the job. The stuff even held together one of the stock foglight lenses after it received a nasty, direct hit from a rock. It's great. Here's a link to what I believe is the same stuff.

Mike H.

the 3M bug shield does work nicely, find a RV/coach dealership.. usually theres a guy around that does the 3M shield repairs/add-ons. most guys will do head lights for $20.00 ....the 3M product is clear as glass but soft n rubbery feeling, it will deflect rocks and other abrasives, and UV protect the lenses

2010 11-05-2010 09:58 PM

regular turtle wax for body panels or it must be plastic specific??