Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   2.9 Liter Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/)
-   -   my 88 dies when i only have half a tank (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/1985-88-dies-half-tank.html)

mrdadeink 08-13-2009 08:29 PM

my 88 dies when i only have half a tank

ok so i have this problem with truck it dies when i have half a tank of gas left in it what is the problem? i was thinkin the floater or fuel pump what are the suggestions?:eek:

STL 08-14-2009 05:07 AM

Do you know for sure you have half a tank left?

Maybe it is empty cause the float is messed up

mrdadeink 08-14-2009 08:54 PM

how do i find out

im not sure whats the best and easier way to find out ? :confused:

STL 08-15-2009 05:02 AM

U can take a rod and thump the tank to see if it sounds hallow or just drop the tank and look inside

mrdadeink 09-05-2009 12:40 PM

still have this problem i called a mechanic and he insisted that its the fuel pump idk if i should replace it

02'4.04x4 09-05-2009 06:51 PM

If the fuel pump is ever in question with 100k or more miles then you it should be replaced. But in this scenario, you would know if it was the fuel pump by other odd signs unless, of course it is a mechanical and you have a clogged filter. . .
How many miles, major work done, Beings that is an 88 is it an electric or mech. pump?

P.S. the easiest way to tell if there is fuel to a less than imaginative ear is to fill up the tank and watch the mileage. 15 gallons does not equate to 100 miles.

02'4.04x4 09-06-2009 11:15 PM

Huh this one is stumping me I'll talk to a friend of mine tomorrow.
The only thing I can recall is something about people with old dirty tanks getting around 1/4 tank and getting issues including stalling. Still the info requested will help.

This may sound stupid, but have you ran heet, in your fuel tank? It is a little out there to me but you never know.

mrdadeink 09-07-2009 03:59 AM

i think its electric but it doesnt give any other odd signs just when it reaches half atank

dangerranger83 09-07-2009 08:03 AM

doesnt sound like the fuel pump a pump is good or bad not only bad at half tank. It would stumble when you stomped it. this sounds like your gauge is not reading correctly or there's somthing blocking flow once it get's to a certain spot. pull the line that feeds the pump and install a cheap inline electric pump in 20 min. to see if it will empty the tank. if it does you have no blockage in the tank. oh and a fast way too see if it's empty is using a flexible rod or hose and stuffing it through the fill hole as far as you can like siphoning. Then like a cheap girl PULL OUT lol. is it wet and how far up?

02'4.04x4 09-08-2009 10:37 PM

Allright, spoke to friend. He said it sounds like you have something blocking the return line coming off of the regulator, that it's possible that debris has fused in the tank part of the line. He said just pull the line off of the regulator, and use an air hose with a trigger grip and to blow it out, make sure you remove the gas cap and it would be best to have someone listen for the air to come out of the filler hole. Everything else seems to point towards a stuck or failed lever and the tank actually being empty so just think how many gallons do you put in it after it dies. . . . .
Best of luck, let us know.

P.S. I agree with Danger to an extent, it is not common at all, but I have had alot of experience with SCCA and there are times with mech. pumps when the system is leaking that the pumps somehow will still function to a point of driveability with a full tank but when it gets down to a certain point the system would fail to hold pressure and die. His cues are the commonplace signs of a failing pump and again tell us whether you have gas in there or not. . . I am really curious.

mrdadeink 09-14-2009 11:14 AM

all righty friends sorry i took long to post again anyways i havent fixed the problem yet im getting 68 mpg before it reaches half and dies i tried to put a hose into tank but it wont let me put it more than about10 inches

Jay FX4 09-14-2009 11:36 AM

When you get gas are you filling the tank completely, to the point that the pump stops pumping by itself?

mrdadeink 09-14-2009 11:52 AM

yeah till it stops by itself and no more gas fits

Jay FX4 09-14-2009 11:57 AM

That is strange, I've never heard of anything like that before.
I'll try asking around.

02'4.04x4 09-15-2009 09:42 PM

Did you try the suggestion I mentioned?