Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   Seafoam...Is This a Good Thing To Do???? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/19781-seafoam.html)

Robert1953 10-31-2010 08:30 AM

Seafoam...Is This a Good Thing To Do????

I was reading about this Seafoam liquid process that has been around for many years. Some people swear by it, and others think it is nothing more than a hyp.

Have any of my Ranger 3.0 Brothers (or sisters) used this stuff?

What do you THINK about using it?:hmmmm:

STL 10-31-2010 08:39 AM

Re: Seafoam...Is This a Good Thing To Do????

Yes it works

I have a 4.0 but it will clean every thing out.

mickblock 10-31-2010 08:47 AM

I think that the ability to use something to clean out the air passages including emission passages is a good thing. (the booster vacuum hose thing)
It seems to be agreed upon here that the best time to use it is when you'll be doing an oil change soon after.
This stuff was originally developed as a first step in winterizing outboard marine engines. Thus the name. That's all I know, I've only used it once.

druwevr 10-31-2010 09:04 AM

oh yes 1/3 in the tank 1/3 in the oil and 1/3 on the brake booster let the enigine suck it in and sit for a few minutes then crank it up itll blow out white smoke for a few minutes...i pourd 3/4 of a can in the brake booster in a 00 grand cherokee and me smoked out the road for a miles and a half u couldnt see a thing

STL 10-31-2010 09:54 AM

The more white smoke the "dirtier" the engine is.

Robert1953 10-31-2010 12:30 PM

Thanks for all the feedback...I will get a can of Seafoam and smoke the area.

STL 10-31-2010 01:19 PM

Like said before if poured into crankcase be sure you change the oil after your done. Also have at least 1/4 tank or less when you pour it into the gas tank.

You may also need to replace spark plugs

beef08 10-31-2010 01:37 PM

oh so you may have to change spark blugs after?

sgtsandman 11-02-2010 07:45 AM

Not necessarily but it is possible. It depends on how dirty the engine was/is. Just a heads up, so you know if you run into problems. ;)

brokenIN 11-03-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL (Post 232429)
Like said before if poured into crankcase be sure you change the oil after your done. Also have at least 1/4 tank or less when you pour it into the gas tank.

You may also need to replace spark plugs

1/4 tank or less? for the whole can?

sgtsandman 11-03-2010 09:36 AM

No, only 1/3 of the can. The more empty the tank, the better the seafoam will mix when you put gas in the tank after pouring in the seafoam.

brokenIN 11-03-2010 10:11 AM

As for the putting it in the break booster, where is it located on my 2.3L and are there any tips/warnings I should know about?

sgtsandman 11-03-2010 10:58 AM

Have the truck running. Look for the hose that comes off the intake manifold and goes to the brake booster behind the master cylinder (the round black thing on the driver's side firewall). Pull the hose off and start pouring 1/3 of the can into the vacuum line. The engine will run rough and might stall.

DON'T PANIC, that's normal.

If it stalls, let it sit for a few minutes and then fire it up. If it doesn't shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes then start it back up. It will spew a lot of white smoke.

AGAIN, DON'T PANIC, that is normal. Rev the engine or better yet, drive it around some until it stops smoking.

The remianing 1/3 is for the crankcase but DON'T put it in until before you are ready to change the oil. It's not good to let it circulate in there for a long period of time.

SteveKing84 11-03-2010 11:43 AM

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/for...SeaFoam-How-To

brokenIN 11-03-2010 01:02 PM

Thanks guys, it didn't smoke as much as i thought it would, considering it has 236,000 miles and probably never had anything like this done to it.