Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/)
-   -   1999 Supercab cruise control set off a chain reaction (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/19618-1999-supercab-cruise-control-set-chain-reaction.html)

Kodyston 10-28-2010 01:33 AM

1999 Supercab cruise control set off a chain reaction

Okay... SO... my engine light comes on about a week ago. And what do you know? My 99 starts to drink the gas like fucking crazy... seriously and I was taking it easy. (burnt through a full tank in 4 days at like... 170 miles or so...) but anyway... a couple of days later I went to a buddies house to look at a 1989 Honda CRX SI that I want to purchase, and his driveway was really bumpy and rocky (this might be what caused it IDK) But... after I left his house I turned my cruise control on and next thing I know my speedometer stops working and it kills my cruise control (now neither work) THEN about 5 miles down the road my ABS light came on... so now I have no anti lock brakes... can anyone explain this? it is bugging the crap out of me because I took it to Advance Auto Parts and the guy tried hooking the computer up to my truck 3 different times and the computer said there was nothing wrong with the truck... so yeah... I'm stumped.
Any help will greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

RAT Ranger 10-28-2010 04:43 AM

Re: 1999 Supercab cruise control set off a chain reaction

Speedo not workin is more than likely the speed sensor in the chunk and that can also kick off your ABS also (base PN# 9F731).

Burnin up the fuel probably is the DPFE (base PN# 9J460).

I've had to do both of those to my Son's 99 for the same problems.

Kodyston 10-28-2010 09:44 AM

Okay, thanks for the help. Now... when you say (base PN# 9F731) and DPFE (base PN# 9J460), what part numbers are you talking about, Motorcraft parts or something else? And where do I find them? And I also forgot what DPFE was... lol sorry.

Edit: And would you happen to know why the cruise control would make all of this happen?

Kodyston 10-28-2010 11:15 AM

I might have found the culprit :) Here it is

In 1995 the Ranger stopped using a mechanical speedometer cable and relied on the VSS in the transmission/transfer case to provide it with a signal for speed.

The 1998-2000 Rangers are not equipped with a VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) receives vehicle speed information from the antilock brake system rear wheel speed sensor. The raw signal from the ABS/VSS sensor on the rear axle goes directly to the Explorer 4WABS module where the signal is corrected for tire diameter. Then the corrected signal is sent to the PCM, speed control, cluster, etc. In this system, the PCM is an end user of the corrected VSS signal.

That explains everything but the engine light. Which I guess it could be because of the sensor but idk.

southbama man 10-28-2010 11:21 AM

First check the fuse for the computer if its not giving you a code.

Kodyston 10-28-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southbama man (Post 230083)
First check the fuse for the computer if its not giving you a code.

All fuses are good. Sorry I failed to mention that.

RAT Ranger 10-29-2010 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodyston (Post 230026)
Okay, thanks for the help. Now... when you say (base PN# 9F731) and DPFE (base PN# 9J460), what part numbers are you talking about, Motorcraft parts or something else? And where do I find them? And I also forgot what DPFE was... lol sorry.
Edit: And would you happen to know why the cruise control would make all of this happen?

=======================
Those base PN# are FORD #'s........

The speed sensor in the chunk that registers your speed is the 9F731 and the DPFE (9J460) will make it run funny. DONT buy aftermarket, buy genuin Ford, as the aftermarkets are troublesome.

Kodyston 10-29-2010 07:13 PM

Ahh okay. Yeah, I wouldn't buy aftermarket anything mechanical or electronic for my truck. If it came with it, it's better to replace it with the exact same thing than a cheap aftermarket piece. Thanks rat.