Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   Hydraulic quick release (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/19387-hydraulic-quick-release.html)

Rodnocker 10-24-2010 05:24 PM

Hydraulic quick release

Ok. I got the quick release off. I've replaced the flywheel, pilot bearing, clutch plate, pressure plate and slave cylinder. I have the transmission back in place and torqued up. I go to hook up my quick release to the slave cylinder and for the life of me I can not get it to click.

When I bought the truck the guy said he thought the slave cylinder was going bad so he had included one with the truck. It is a Duralast 10386, brand new in the bag. I have looked it up and verified it is the right one for my truck.

My fingers hurt from trying to get this thing in. It's lined up, there is nothing in the slave cylinder end that would block it, and I didn't deform the end putting the transmission back in.

Has anyone else had a problem getting the quick release to go back in the slave cylinder?

mickblock 10-24-2010 06:03 PM

Re: Hydraulic quick release

Are there two clips on the connection? You've gotta have the clip that overlaps the other one (the "redundant" or "safety" clip) backed out to let the other clip expand, then push it back in after it seats.

Rodnocker 10-25-2010 03:42 AM

The only clip on this one is the little fingers inside of the slave cylinder receiver that grab the hydraulic line when it plugs in.

Rodnocker 10-25-2010 06:38 PM

Went to Advance Auto today and bought a Perfection slave cylinder. Before dropping the transmission to change it out, I check to see if the hydraulic line would plug into this new one. It would not. I looked at the receiver on the new perfection and the one I took out of the transmission to begin with and found something rather interesting. The space between the fingers (that hold in the quick release) and where it bottoms out is deeper than on the new one.

Tomorrow, I guess I will be buying a new hydraulic line. A bit frustrating since there is nothing wrong with the one that is on the truck except that it will not plug into the new slave cylinders.

I have the CMC out of the truck (was a bear getting the shaft off of the clutch pedal) and will bench bleed the new line when I get it installed on the master cylinder before installing on the truck.

I must say though, I've learned quite a bit so far in the 2 months that I've owned this truck. I am looking forward to getting it on the road and actually driving it.

mickblock 10-25-2010 07:05 PM

Is this what it looks like?

http://www.swaptastic.net/ls1_miata/...8Custom%29.JPG

Should be quick-connect and require something like this http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...e_tool.jpg&t=1 to disconnect. Weird that you're having the opposite problem.

Anyway glad your learning stuff. Because I'm stumped. There are like 8 brand that make this part!

Rodnocker 10-26-2010 04:44 AM

Yep, the receiver on mine looks exactly like that one. Picking up the hydraulic line today. I have the new Duralast still in the transmission. I will see if I can get the new line to attach to the Duralast and if not, I will pull it out and use the Perfection slave cylinder.

I like Perfection parts, and if it were not for having to drop the transmission again, I would put the Perfection slave in the transmission. Can't beat the prices... with online coupons, I paid 40.99 for the slave cylinder and 34.99 for the hydraulic line.

Don't know if I will get this done tonight or not, but should be able to work on it some tomorrow. Hoping to get the truck down off the jacks by this weekend.

I am getting quite the collection of these little release tools. Mine doesn't look like the one you posted though. This one is just a stamped piece of metal two prongs on the end to slide the plastic sleeve to release the line from the slave cylinder.

Rodnocker 10-27-2010 08:28 AM

I have been going back and forth with Perfection's Customer service and they have been great. I found out that the color of the receiver on the slave cylinder needs to match the color of the quick connect on the hydraulic line. Seems there is a slight size difference between the two. OEM hydraulic line and Slave cylinder was brass but the Duralast and Perfection slave cylinder receivers were black. Working on getting this all straight and then I should be able to get it all put back together.

sgtsandman 10-27-2010 09:15 AM

Interesting. I would have never thought the color would have made a difference...

Rodnocker 10-27-2010 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, hopefully I will have this resolved soon. I now have the old hydraulic line that I took out of the truck and the new hydraulic line that I just bought at Advance Auto. I have verified that I now have the correct parts via tech support at Perfection's customer service. The result is... brass and black does make a difference and I can now understand why it seemed the brass quick release would not plug into the black receiver far enough on my slave cylinder.

I don't know if you will ever see this or not... but thank you Bobby at Perfection for all your patience and help with this.

Well... since it's pictures or it never happen... take a look.