Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Interior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/)
-   -   Need help with map lights on OHC (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/19273-help-map-lights-ohc.html)

04rangernyc 10-22-2010 01:42 PM

Need help with map lights on OHC

installed the OHC, the only issue I had was with the map lights. My dome light only has 1 wire. I hooked up the lights and they work fine when I open the door and turn them on with dimmer switch. Where can I wire the map lights so they come on with the buttons on the OHC??

Clinton 10-22-2010 01:44 PM

Re: Need help with map lights on OHC

Did you check the bulbs? maybe they are burned out. that wire attached to your regular dome light should feed all the lights on the OHC

STL 10-22-2010 01:45 PM

You positive you only got 1 wire at the dome light. Did u look up under the headliner?

04rangernyc 10-22-2010 01:54 PM

Yep i have a reg cab and it only has the dome light that comes on when the door is open or turned on with the dimmer switch. the lights work on the OHC they just dont come on when I push the button for the individual lights on the OHC.

drppdyllwrngr 10-22-2010 02:28 PM

i think you will need to add another wire. i'm pretty sure it's covered in one of the write ups.

Roadkill 10-22-2010 05:23 PM

I just ran a new hot wire for the map lights on mine.

rwenzing 10-22-2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04rangernyc (Post 225600)
installed the OHC, the only issue I had was with the map lights. My dome light only has 1 wire. I hooked up the lights and they work fine when I open the door and turn them on with dimmer switch. Where can I wire the map lights so they come on with the buttons on the OHC??

For 2004~2006 Ranger, tap the light green/orange of the Ex console into the light green/orange at the Smart Juncton Box under the passenger side kick panel. Tap into the light green/orange near the GREY connector of the SJB, pin 5.

Note: Light green/orange means light green main color with an orange stripe, not the other way around. LG/OG and OG/LG are both present in the grey connector and they are NOT interchangeable.

04rangernyc 10-23-2010 07:46 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. I got it working, I was reading THE H.P. FREAK's OHC install and he had a link for the wiring on the 04+ (thanks). I ended up plugging into the GR/OR wire on the dimmer switch behind the headlight switch. Thanks again for all your help.

rwenzing 10-23-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04rangernyc (Post 226079)
I ended up plugging into the GR/OR wire on the dimmer switch behind the headlight switch. Thanks again for all your help.

Yup. That's the other end of the same wire that's at the SJB.

hhachatz 12-12-2010 05:40 PM

on my 2003 level 2 the map lights stay on all the time unless i move the switch in between on and off; then the one that i am moving it towards goes off but the other satys on. I took the panel out and cleaned it up so there isnt anu corrison or anything. the connections look clean, added new bulbs, and made sure the three screws were in all the way. any suggestions?:eek: