Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Wheels and Tires (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/wheels-and-tires/)
-   -   Winter Tire (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/wheels-and-tires/19271-winter-tire.html)

DrIftKi7Vg 10-22-2010 01:21 PM

Winter Tire

Alright, this should be my last thread for this topic lol. I have gotten a lot of help and suggestions about winter tires but still cannot make up my mind. Last year (down here in MD) we had a huge winter storm with over 16 inches of snow and then later down the months, ice. So I want a very good winter tire that is of course good in plowed and unplowed snow, ice, wet roads and dry roads. I'm looking for an inexpensive tire as well say under 400 for all four tires. I was looking at these tires for a good month now and have my mind set on them. The brand is a good brand and people are putting out good reviews but I haven't seen them on our Rangers. So any suggestions or help on this would be awesome. PS, I'm trying to buy the tires before Halloween so after that I can go and put them on (already starting to get cold). Thanks

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...1911&fsv=false

azgilamonster 10-22-2010 02:23 PM

Re: Winter Tire

not a good link

DrIftKi7Vg 10-22-2010 02:39 PM

What do you mean by that? Not a good site or you can't open the link?

Rocky Mountain Ranger 10-22-2010 03:45 PM

The link opened for me. I am in the same boat as you. I live in Colorado so I need a great set of snow tires. I run two sets rims/tires; a summer and winter. When I look at tires I tend to focus more on performance rather than price. I have been running the Cooper M/S unstudded and they worked alright, but I would often have to throw a set of chains on. I need to replace my winter tires this season and am looking at 3 options. 1)Cooper M/S again 2)Eldorado Trailcutter R/T then have them siped 3) a tire guy, just today, recommended the Firestone Winterforce, which I haven't researched yet.
I haven't had any experience with the Hankook.

DrIftKi7Vg 10-22-2010 03:59 PM

I haven't have any experience either but boy does the tire and brand have good reviews on it. Also the Firestone Winterforce I found on the Sears website for 65 dollars a piece I think (318 total). But I think someone on here said not to go with that because they suck, but I don't don't know. I was always told that your first choice is always best and it's true.

DavidY 10-22-2010 04:20 PM

Check out the the winter tire testing article at Tirerack.com which compares Firestone Winterforce, General Altimax Arctic and Pirelli Winter Carving.....Winterforce finished in 3rd place. General Altimax Arctic was the best of the three. General Altimax Arctic also placed in 2nd among many tires tested by Consumer Reports (Michelin XIce Xi2 were tops).

Based primarily on the real world testing by Tirerack, I went with a set of 245/75-16 General Altimax Arctic (studded) for my FX4.

Winterforce tires are much cheaper than most other winter tires....this concerns me.

For studless, Continental ExtremeWinterContact topped both the Blizzak WS60 and Michelin XIce Xi2 in Tirerack testing.

Dave

DrIftKi7Vg 10-22-2010 04:28 PM

How much did yours cost?

Rocky Mountain Ranger 10-22-2010 05:07 PM

After reading David's post and reading the TireRack tests, I am leaning towards the Continental Extreme.

IndianScout 10-22-2010 05:10 PM

I live in North Dakota so our winters are not much different, I just put these on, my 2nd pair of these, they handle the snow very well and are rated M/S

http://i54.tinypic.com/205twyh.jpg

let me know if you're interested in them I can get you a good price on them..

Indian

littleblue 10-22-2010 06:47 PM

I run the Hankook Winter iPike W409 on my Ranger here in N Idaho. Great tire in snow and ice and have yet to get stuck. Quiet and smooth running for a studded tire. I'm on my third winter and they show very little wear.

DavidY 10-22-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrIftKi7Vg (Post 225681)
How much did yours cost?

Here in Canada, tires are way pricier than the US. I had paid CAD$664 at my door. Studding, mounting and balancing were done at a local tire dealer.

For example, www.tiresavings.com has the General Altimax Arctic 225/70-15 at US$79.

Dave

DrIftKi7Vg 10-22-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleblue (Post 225834)
I run the Hankook Winter iPike W409 on my Ranger here in N Idaho. Great tire in snow and ice and have yet to get stuck. Quiet and smooth running for a studded tire. I'm on my third winter and they show very little wear.

How are they on dry roads? And also wet?

sgtsandman 10-22-2010 09:21 PM

IIRC, Consumer Reports Rated the Hankooks as one of the top three picks with the Michilens and another tire. They didn't go into detail that I saw though, just a side note box. I didn't have time to read the whole article so, they may have expanded on that in there as to which was best at what.

DrIftKi7Vg 10-22-2010 11:00 PM

But would they be good on dry roads as well as snow and ice? Because it doesn't snow everyday but when it does, it's huge!

cdawall 10-23-2010 08:24 AM

My buddy has cooper m/s on his 2wd tacoma it works good in the south dakota winters. I have the cooper discovery s/t they kick ass in the snow but I also have 4wd and they are too hard of a rubber for ice.