Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   Plastic Repair? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/19029-plastic-repair.html)

bilko1 10-18-2010 08:44 AM

Plastic Repair?

I have hit bamby's dad,:( it ran away,:) but not before cracking the plastic below the bumper.
I have the plastic welder and have the abilaty to do the repair, I need to know what this plastic is before I attempt to weld it.:confused:Can anyone tell me, HOW to tell what type of plastic it is?

bilko1 10-23-2010 05:58 AM

Re: Plastic Repair?

WITH ALL THE HELPERS ON THIS SITE, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT TYPE OF PLASTIC THE PLASTIC UNDER THE BUMPER, WHERE THE FOG LIGHTS ARE, IS, SO I CAN GET THE RIGHT TYPE OF PLASTIC WELDER ROD?:confused:

Clinton 10-23-2010 06:12 AM

I'm not sure what typw of plastic it is, but to do a repair like that you may be better off just getting a new lower valance. LMC has them around 100.00, ebay has them cheaper

TurdFX4 10-23-2010 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilko1 (Post 226031)
WITH ALL THE HELPERS ON THIS SITE, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT TYPE OF PLASTIC THE PLASTIC UNDER THE BUMPER, WHERE THE FOG LIGHTS ARE, IS, SO I CAN GET THE RIGHT TYPE OF PLASTIC WELDER ROD?:confused:

take it easy on the billy mayes button

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clinton (Post 226034)
I'm not sure what typw of plastic it is, but to do a repair like that you may be better off just getting a new lower valance. LMC has them around 100.00, ebay has them cheaper

Thats what I'd do, I wouldnt even bother trying to fix it.

drppdyllwrngr 10-23-2010 06:29 AM

i agree, replacing would be the sure bet way.

but if you want to find out what kind of plastic, it's usually stamped in the plastic near the part number. or there are other tests to determine it. if you give me a few minutes, i'll look at my wyotech notes and see if i can find that section.

EDIT: Found the notes, but there are a lot. I would be willing to bet it's TPO. try grinding a little on the back. A TPO plastic will melt and smear when ground. Also, they make a universal rod that will weld any plastic so you don't have to figure out what plastic it is.

bilko1 10-24-2010 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drppdyllwrngr (Post 226044)
i agree, replacing would be the sure bet way.

but if you want to find out what kind of plastic, it's usually stamped in the plastic near the part number. or there are other tests to determine it. if you give me a few minutes, i'll look at my wyotech notes and see if i can find that section.

EDIT: Found the notes, but there are a lot. I would be willing to bet it's TPO. try grinding a little on the back. A TPO plastic will melt and smear when ground. Also, they make a universal rod that will weld any plastic so you don't have to figure out what plastic it is.

I would rather repair (cause I an't got no money & I'm very cheap)
I have 3 or 4 dif. types of plastic rod, The crack is from the bottom of the fog lite to the bottom of the plastic piece stright down. It should be easy to repair and I want to paint it flat black anyway, so the repair won't show.

Zipzag 03-13-2011 09:11 AM

I use Nitrogen to fix my plastic parts , and the proper rod . I know what to use cause theres a stamp on the back of that valance with the plastic code . Its Poly Propylene I believe , but like I said you need to check the stamp , should be near the part #

Now some aftermarket parts have a stamp too but not always , and you dont know if they used the same type of plastic that the Factory uses . All you can do is test with diff rods or ribbins.