Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   Gotta clean this up! What's the best way (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/18319-gotta-clean-whats.html)

brokenIN 10-04-2010 09:24 AM

Gotta clean this up! What's the best way

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...cea6aac6a2.jpg

What is the best way to bring this hood back to a shine? I wet sanded part of the hood and it worked great, but I guess i need to know how to get the remaining clear coat off without sanding to deep and having to repaint the hood. Anybody have an idea?

Check out the shiny cleaned up headlights! turtle wax kit works wonders!

Clinton 10-04-2010 09:47 AM

Re: Gotta clean this up! What's the best way

You are probably going to have to wet sand the entire hood with some real fine grit paper to even it out, just be real careful man

01DangerRanger 10-04-2010 09:58 AM

not to be down, but its pretty much gone. cant realy do much to get it back unless you got a whole new paint job. my bro has same problem on saame color ranger same year everything. he has tryed many things to get it better but nothin works. i doubt sanding it is a good idea but its kinda allready shot so i guess go for it if you want. like clinton said, be careful doing it!

DieHard4rd 10-04-2010 10:32 AM

Macco

brokenIN 10-04-2010 10:59 AM

Pat you just presented a challenge! I'll get it back to factory just to prove I can lol. Pictures when i'm done =)

01DangerRanger 10-04-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenIN (Post 209969)
Pat you just presented a challenge! I'll get it back to factory just to prove I can lol. Pictures when i'm done =)

haha glad to see you are not giving up on it and ya love to see what it will look like after. if its nice i will be sure to let my brother know ;)

brokenIN 10-23-2010 02:31 PM

The hood is coming along nicely, if only it would stop raining. Pictures and a how to soon

Clinton 10-23-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenIN (Post 226313)
The hood is coming along nicely, if only it would stop raining. Pictures and a how to soon

The how to would be awesome!!!

ObsoleteE 10-23-2010 05:29 PM

Rain just makes it easier to wet sand. I say paint that bitch matte black.

Coleosis 10-24-2010 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieHard4rd (Post 209954)
Macco

If you're into wasting money, maybe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenIN (Post 226313)

If all else fails...Take the hood off and try to paint it yourself. Hell, after you wetsand it you're probably going to need to put new clear on it if you dont want the elements to get at it. I say you try to do it yourself...Not like its a $35,000 car or a $7,000 paintjob.

brokenIN 10-25-2010 07:58 AM

the rain would have been helpful to wet sand except I already finished that part. Since it's a daily driver and the fact I don't have a garage I can store it in I can't clearcoat it until it stops. DAY 4 OF STRAIGHT RAIN!

huffa12 10-28-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenIN (Post 227625)
the rain would have been helpful to wet sand except I already finished that part. Since it's a daily driver and the fact I don't have a garage I can store it in I can't clearcoat it until it stops. DAY 4 OF STRAIGHT RAIN!

my paintjob is having the same problem but its not just on the hood its also on the sides of the bed and right fender i tryed to just spray on some clearcoat and polish it it just looks rough so i didnt do the hood i plan on getting the whole truck painted black next summer anyway.