Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Cleaning and Detailing (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/cleaning-and-detailing/)
-   -   Tree Sap (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/cleaning-and-detailing/18165-tree-sap.html)

TenSilver 10-01-2010 05:44 AM

Tree Sap

I don'g have a garage or carport to park my truck in so it sits out in the elements. I'm surrounded by trees and get fine droplets of tree sap about the size of a grain of salt on my truck.

Is there any way to keep this off or are there any repellant or something. I've just been rinsing the truck off with water.

Any better ideas out there?

EDIT: I rinsed the truck off with water and got the majority of it off. Very little is still remaining on the hood and roof. Then I washed it again with car wash soap. I can barely feel it with my hand.

Needless to say I moved my truck to a different parking area for the time being.

STL 10-01-2010 06:23 AM

Re: Tree Sap

I would clay bar the truck then wax it may help in removal.

FX4 10-01-2010 06:30 AM

no way to prevent from sticking other then moving your truck.... make sure you wash your truck and put on at least 3 coats of wax on it to protect it. Tree sap can cause damage to your paint much like bird crap.

TenSilver 10-01-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL (Post 207559)
I would clay bar the truck then wax it may help in removal.

What is clay bar? I have heard it mentioned here before. Is it an abrasive?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FX4 (Post 207563)
no way to prevent from sticking other then moving your truck.... make sure you wash your truck and put on at least 3 coats of wax on it to protect it. Tree sap can cause damage to your paint much like bird crap.

Yea, I'll start parking on the other side of the yard until the tree stops sapping. I just washed the truck Tuesday and put on two coats of wax. Then it rained for two days. I noticed a little yesterday morning but a good bit more this morning.

Thanks for the info! Keep it coming!

TurdFX4 10-01-2010 04:50 PM

try a product called "Oops" it worked wonders on my girlfriend's truck, but STL was correct, try clay bar as well.

Clinton 10-01-2010 05:38 PM

Bug and tar remover does well with that, spray it let it soak for about 15 mins then scrub it with a netted sponge using soapy water

catfish king 10-01-2010 07:29 PM

Get some stuff called "Goof Off" in the spray bottle at Walmart.It's in the paint section and it works great!

99offroadrngr 10-01-2010 11:32 PM

goo gone works well when i get the sap on the roof of myt ruck

TenSilver 10-02-2010 03:42 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I still haven't found out if clar bar is abrasive but I'll try the bug and tar remover first and see how that works. I have a netted sponge to scrub it with.

Then I'll try something else if that doesn't work.

TenSilver 10-02-2010 01:50 PM

UPDATE: I have tried the bug and tar remover and it didn't work. I can still feel minute bumps in the finish.

Is claybar abrasive?
I searched locally but haven't found it yet.

TenSilver 10-03-2010 02:21 PM

FINAL UPDATE:
I found the clay bar locally and it worked like a charm! Woot!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

joshyddog 10-06-2010 12:46 AM

hey pm were u find it plz