Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   1999 2.5L Timing belt snapped, replaced it, won't start (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/17559-1999-2-5l-timing-belt-snapped-replaced-wont-start.html)

GNTurbo6 09-18-2010 03:04 PM

1999 2.5L Timing belt snapped, replaced it, won't start

So about a month ago my timing belt snapped and I had to get my truck towed home. I let it sit for a while since I have two other vehicles to drive and quite frankly I'm somewhat lazy. Anyway, I've finally dug into the engine bay and just replaced the water pump, timing belt tensioner and the timing belt itself. I've triple checked my timing and everything looks good. Now my problem is that it just won't start. I can crank and crank and crank and nothing. I've checked the fuel pump shut off switch, it's fine. I should note that I have not reattached the accessory belt because goddamn the AC/PS bracket is a bitch and a half to get out of the way and I don't want to deal with reattaching it until I know everything else is good. Also the engine and radiator are empty of coolant right now.

Any ideas for me?

Specs: 1999 Ranger XLT 2.5L i4 2wd auto, ~170k miles

amoujaffar 09-18-2010 05:14 PM

Re: 1999 2.5L Timing belt snapped, replaced it, won't start

im no expert, but when a timing belt snaps, for the most part the engine is screwed, that's why replacing it early is "preventative maintenance". When it snaps the cams start spinning out of control and usually open at the wrong time, hit the cylinders, bend, and crack the pistons. This leads to no compression, leading to a non-starting engine.

I could be completely off here but i would run up to sears and get a handy dandy compression tester and look into it

GNTurbo6 09-18-2010 06:21 PM

Our 2.5L I4s are non-interference engines meaning that the valves and the pistons do not use the same space but at difference times. Thus there really is no chance for the valves and pistons to meet unless something else is very wrong with the engine.

amoujaffar 09-18-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GNTurbo6 (Post 199212)
Our 2.5L I4s are non-interference engines meaning that the valves and the pistons do not use the same space but at difference times. Thus there really is no chance for the valves and pistons to meet unless something else is very wrong with the engine.

hmm never heard of it, i'll read up on that. thanks for setting me straight.

STL 09-18-2010 06:54 PM

Probably bent some valves.

GNTurbo6 09-20-2010 04:14 PM

EDIT: I WIN! ok, so being lazy/smart and trying to test things before I put it all back together is what caused the problem. The crank sensor uses the gear on the back of the crank pulley. I had not reattached the crank pulley and I was not planning on running any of the accessories in this phase of testing (ie making sure the engine ran).

trevordurham 09-29-2010 10:56 AM

does any body have a oic diagram on timming belt alighnment

crowdpleazer 09-29-2010 07:00 PM

some engines are ruined when the belt breaks (piston hits the valves) and some engines are ok. it all depends on the design of the engine and if there is enough room for the pistons to clear the valves when they open out of time.

im just sayin...

swan2012 07-15-2012 03:04 PM

My belt snapped also while on motion. I'm replacing but have a problem loosing the a/c compresor and bracket to gain access to the timming belt cover. Do I have to remove both compressor and stering pump to get to the cover? tnx

mthomp1 07-15-2012 04:33 PM

I can't answer your question, swan2012, but this is regarding the one from two years ago, even though the OP figured out his problem: To the guys that posted that the valves may be bent, the 2.5L isn't an interference engine, so that isn't possible.

tomboy 07-15-2012 05:08 PM

I've not replaced the belt on a 99 2.5, but have on 96 and older with the 2.3, and yes, on those both pumps have to be moved to get access. There are some bolts on the side of the block that are a bear to get to.

sgtsandman 07-15-2012 06:25 PM

Looking at the mounting block for my steering pump on the '98, it looks like the A/C would mount right above the steering pump (mine doesn't have A/C). To get the cover off, the mount has to come, so yes both need to be removed to get at the cover.

White99 07-20-2012 09:04 AM

Similar problem. 1999 2.5L 4 cylinder, While driving, I heard a pop, and lost power. Coasted off the road, tried to restart, but no luck. I figured the first thing to check was the timing belt.. bingo,.. it was shredded.

followed normal procedures to remove A/C, Pwr Steering pump & bracket, fan & water pump, crankshaft pulley, etc. cleaned out remaining piece of belt, and inspected teeth on pulley's / sprockets.. all looked good.. put on new belt, matched crank keyway to 12 O'Clock, oil pump pulley diamond to diamond, camshaft triangle to triangle.. put crank pulley back on .. now it will crank over, but will not start.

I believe it is a "non-interference" engine, so I shouldn't have to worry about bent valves or pistons..

I'm guessing it may be crankshaft position sensor, but I don't know how to check to see if it is good or not..

Is there something else that I can check before having it towed to a garage?

----------

also, though maybe I was 180 degrees out on the camshaft, so I pulled belt off, turned camshaft one revolution back to mark, put belt back on -- all marks lining up -- same results-- turns over, sounds like it's about to start, but it doesn't fire up...

(p.s. I can hear fuel pump engaging when I turn key forward)

swan2012 07-21-2012 11:23 AM

Tnx u all. I got clear off compressor,p/s pump, bracket and belt cover. How I get the crankshaft pulley out, is there a special tool? since there is two holes on the pulley's edge, I'm asuming for a reason since turning the pulley's bolt will turn the shaft. tnx again.

White99 07-23-2012 08:23 AM

Swan2012,
Bolt in Crankshaft is 7/8 inch.. it comes out counter-clockwise, lefty loosey. if you have access to an air gun, the quickest and easiest way to break it loose, or you can use breaker bar propped against frame rail and crank the motor with key, should break it loose..
you'll usually need a pulley remover to get the pulley off of the crank once the bolt is removed.