Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Wheels and Tires (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/wheels-and-tires/)
-   -   factory rims clicking? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/wheels-and-tires/16447-factory-rims-clicking.html)

Coastie 08-24-2010 04:07 PM

factory rims clicking?

a few months ago i started to hear a clicking noise coming from my front driver side tire. i figured it was the hub or breaks. but i got em checked out and it wasn't. so just recently i found out it was coming from my rim. i have a 2007 ford ranger with the factory 15' rims. there steal rims with a plastic chrome cover on them. i have no idea how the plastic is held on. but it clicks in the same spot every time my wheel makes a complete turn. it always clicks when its at the bottom of the turn to, which makes sense because thats when there's the most pressure on the part of the rim that is clicking. i think its the plastic bowing out and snapping back. i dont really want to buy new rims but i have no idea how to fix it? any suggestions? sorry if this doesn't make sense im not all that great at explain stuff.

TerrenceStuart 08-24-2010 10:21 PM

Re: factory rims clicking?

if it's a 2007, take it to ford. Don't they have a 10 year warranty now?

Coastie 08-25-2010 06:39 AM

i called and gave them my vin and the warranty expired 2 months ago. haha so no its not under warranty.

darkstar_420 08-25-2010 07:01 AM

its pretty much glued on, i wouldnt worry about it because if you take it off your probly gonna wreck the chrome, and they dont sell just the chrome piece, from what ive seen you have to buy a whole new rim, at least that what insurance does so my guess is that they dont sell the plastic

Coleosis 08-25-2010 08:10 AM

can you shove some hot glue in there far enough it won't be seen? Worth a shot...

Coastie 08-26-2010 12:40 AM

I think i might actually try that. Ive got some gorilla glue layin around some were. Haha just gotta figure out how i can get it in there

darkstar_420 08-26-2010 07:11 AM

the stuff bends and kinks really easy, so be sure not to bend it much or your wheel will have kinks in it

littleblue 08-26-2010 09:46 AM

The center cap snaps onto your lug nuts. You don't want to glue them down, else you have to replace the cap if you ever have to take it off (flat tire, rotations, etc.) and they aren't cheap, even on ebay. It sounds more like a wheel bearing not adjusted properly or failing.

Coleosis 08-26-2010 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastie (Post 182792)
I think i might actually try that. Ive got some gorilla glue layin around some were. Haha just gotta figure out how i can get it in there

the reason I say hot glue is because it's softer and thicker than most glues.

Coastie 08-26-2010 05:09 PM

well i tried glue it didnt work. i even tried putting more air in my tire to re leave some of the pressure off the rim. i even tried kicking the shit out of it. not sure why i thought that was gonna help but it made me feel a lot better. soooooo im out of ideas. and its not the cap i tried gluing. its just a plastic thing over a steal wheel. i might just have to deal with the clicking noise or just buy a new rim

Coleosis 08-26-2010 06:35 PM

Sell the wheels and buy some you REALLY want

Coastie 08-26-2010 08:44 PM

but i like the way they look right now

littleblue 08-27-2010 12:57 AM

Try swapping the wheel with the pass. front or one of the rear wheels. If the noise moves to that position you know its a wheel. If it continues to be the drivers front then you know you have a mechanical problem.

Coastie 08-27-2010 07:52 PM

ya ive been wantin to do that. i just dont have any jack stands. but im sure i can find somthing

Coleosis 08-27-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastie (Post 183979)
ya ive been wantin to do that. i just dont have any jack stands. but im sure i can find somthing

Your friends, parents, neigbors have a jack? Just use your jack and their jack...The wheels are only coming off for 2 minutes...Not like you'll be crawling under it either.