Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Help!!! 96 Ranger 2.3 Rattling in idle, stalls (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/16345-help-96-ranger-2-3-rattling-idle-stalls.html)

mikef 08-22-2010 12:49 PM

Help!!! 96 Ranger 2.3 Rattling in idle, stalls

Hello Guys,

I have a problem with my little truck:
-First when you attempt to start it it stalls immediately
-After few attempt and constantly pumping gas it will start and idles very rough (after a warm up), Backfires and exhaust gets cherry red
- have p1504 and p0122 codes

what I've done so far:
- New fuel filter, pressure is good
- Checked all Fuses
- Replaced timing belt 3 times
- checked the vacuum the best I could
- checked wiring from TPS and IAC to PCM
- Checked output on TPS (left wire 5V, middle -1.0V -closed, 4.5x - full open, right is nothing 0)

simmilar to this

I've spent countless ours online and in the garage trying to figure it out. Would appreciate any input.

scheider1980 08-22-2010 05:39 PM

Re: Help!!! 96 Ranger 2.3 Rattling in idle, stalls

cat is bad

mikef 08-23-2010 04:44 AM

Cat is bypassed. But still will try without exhaust.

mikef 08-24-2010 04:30 PM

Here is update:
Changed 1st Coil pack
replaced IACV
removed Exhaust
Truck starts fine, but shuts off after 1-2 sec
Any Ideas? I am stuck and cannot think anything but vacuum or PCM

modelageek 08-25-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikef (Post 181499)
Here is update:
Changed 1st Coil pack
replaced IACV
removed Exhaust
Truck starts fine, but shuts off after 1-2 sec
Any Ideas? I am stuck and cannot think anything but vacuum or PCM

we need more info. does it start up and die after 2 seconds everytime? Does it ever run for a while. have you gotten any more codes? what was the fuel pressure? koeo, koer( when it was runing) how many cycles to get to proper pressure. how much did the pressure drop in 5 minutes after you shut the truck off.

a few more thoughts. I think you have a icm. did you try disconnecting sensors one at a time. ie. the maf, the ect sensor. did you check that the air intake was not clogged up. did you try spraying starter fluid into the throttle body to see if it ran? how about spark?

mikef 09-04-2010 06:08 PM

Ok I guess I need to do the followup and share the knowledge!

First - Thank you for your help and time that you invested in my problem. I really do appreciate it.

And now solution to my problem: Since truck will run just fine on break cleaner and exhaust gettin red hot after 1-1.5 min we decided that it was timing. After another attempt to change timing belt my buddy pointed at the crankshaft pulley. The notch was 3 times bigger than alignment pin, so the knock sensor did not know which position the engine was in.

I will skip my journey to the junk yard, just wanna let you know that advance and autozone dont have those pulleys for 4cyl, but they have for V6.

PS anybody needs a computer? F67F-12A650-VA writing ZZQ0
)))))))