Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/)
-   -   Ram Air Intake setup, what do you guys think? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/16334-ram-air-intake-setup-guys.html)

Helgaiden 08-22-2010 01:03 AM

Ram Air Intake setup, what do you guys think?

So ive seen similar setups through the TRS website and elsewhere (i first wanted to do it when i saw this intake sitting at my local Kragen, http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...7-101-002a.jpg )

My own truck (and s10) didnt have the right kind of air filter on there for me to copy that intake setup (spectre sells a clip in ducting adapter but my air filter doesnt have an open top to clip it into). So when my brother recently got his 06 Ranger i started eyeballing it and he liked the idea of it for a lil more power from the little 2.3. The other day we removed the air box baffle and he liked that so today we set out and got a K&N replacement filter (flat filter for the stock airbox) and set to modify the air box with a 3inch spectre ducting adapter and a dryer ducting hose. The results were good, my brother said the truck picked up quicker and he really liked it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/IMAG0105.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n/IMAG0106.jpg

The duct currently is routed to the lower valence of the bumper in the open area under the (and to the side) of the license plate. Its kind of an obvious thing but it works. Its a temporary location. The lower valence/plastic has little honeycombed plastic inserts where it looks like foglamps would go. Considering removing the insert (or drilling out the honeycombs and turning it into a kind of grill) and attaching the ducting to this and putting this there...

http://www.sfxperformance.com/images...ts/SPT9787.jpg

Regardless, for an hour's worth of work it was definately a worthy mod according to my bro.

Coleosis 08-22-2010 02:05 AM

Re: Ram Air Intake setup, what do you guys think?

This is where everyone tells you air intakes are a waste of money. and if you disagree or argue with them, they will post this video of a couple cartoon people having a convo about air intakes. I personally think that if you want a CAI/RAI you should make it yourself and save about $150-$200

Ranger Sport 08-22-2010 02:19 AM

I would have used pvc tubing (or metal) myself (keeps the air cooler), but if it saves you money, and doesn't cause damage the engine, who cares right?

Helgaiden 08-22-2010 02:23 AM

well that tubing IS metal...just relatively thin (but says it can withstand heat up to 400*F). Spectre makes a PVC plastic flexible duciting thing to match their adapter thingy but $20 for that vs. $8 for the ducting pictured...well cant argue with $8 if it does the same job.

But yeah, saved a bunch of money that way so my bro is happy lol.

STL 08-22-2010 06:16 AM

Kinda cool idea.

I think the "picked up quicker" is due to the new air filter.

That is a pretty nasty bend you have there. Dont see how much air is getting through there.

Keep this thread updated if you change anything.

Helgaiden 08-22-2010 03:46 PM

yeah the bend isnt as nasty as it looks. I ran rope through it and it isnt obstructed at all. The way the metal ducting kind of "crunched" to make the bend actually kept it rather open, it just looks bad thats all.

vicsantana91 04-29-2012 09:40 AM

I would like to do the same mod to my truck. Could you please share some pictures?

modelageek 04-29-2012 09:50 AM

What is the purpose of all this work?......what does it do?

FireRanger 04-29-2012 09:55 AM

The friction loss due to the ribs of the dryer hose and the sharp 90 degree bend at the bottom and top are negating any gain and most likely making it worse than before. The "more pickup" is just in your head. Had someone done this "mod" while you weren't looking and didn't tell you about it, you wouldn't have noticed a thing. In fact you might even notice a loss.

There is merit to the concept of ram air. But what you've designed isn't going to do it. If you cut the hole in the bottom of the airbox, you would eliminate one of the 90 degree bends. Then find a way to make the bend at the bottom not as sharp. You'll need a bigger scoop and bigger ducting that is smooth inside.

Don't mind coleosis's BS. He knows not what he blabs about.

SalRanger2 04-29-2012 05:10 PM

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 865668)
You'll need a bigger scoop and bigger ducting that is smooth inside.

yea another thing to add to this is what ive been told about duct work in a home. on a complete system i believe you arent supposed to use more than 3ish Feet of flex tubing(looks like what youve got). with all the ridges and such its dead air and tumbles, therefore inefficient.
not dissing this mod just food for thought

misterb-fx4 04-29-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 865668)
The friction loss due to the ribs of the dryer hose and the sharp 90 degree bend at the bottom and top are negating any gain and most likely making it worse than before. The "more pickup" is just in your head. Had someone done this "mod" while you weren't looking and didn't tell you about it, you wouldn't have noticed a thing. In fact you might even notice a loss.

There is merit to the concept of ram air. But what you've designed isn't going to do it. If you cut the hole in the bottom of the airbox, you would eliminate one of the 90 degree bends. Then find a way to make the bend at the bottom not as sharp. You'll need a bigger scoop and bigger ducting that is smooth inside.

Don't mind coleosis's BS. He knows not what he blabs about.

I've taken Fluid Dynamics, Heat Transfer, and Thermo Dynamics, you are 100% correct.

TerrenceStuart 04-29-2012 07:22 PM

dryer vent in a truck == HICK

FireRanger 04-29-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterb-fx4 (Post 866164)
I've taken Fluid Dynamics, Heat Transfer, and Thermo Dynamics, you are 100% correct.

See, me is smarts. :D

RagerTom 04-29-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger

Lol

misterb-fx4 04-29-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 866449)

The Spectre one is even worse. The only thing helping it is the material. The thin aluminum of the dryer duct has one of the highest thermal conductivities lol.