Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Dads Truck (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/introduce-yourself/15949-dads-truck.html)

Little red truck 08-14-2010 09:08 AM

Dads Truck

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/DSCF0018.jpg

My wonderful loving Father in Law passed away from cancer at the beginning of this month. He was diagnosed the first week of December. When we visited him over Christmas he sat us down and went over his affairs. He told me he was giving me his 1989 Ranger.

We have quite a history together with this truck, I ordered it special for him back when I was living in Columbus, OH. I still remember driving down to the dealer after work the day it rolled off the transport to verify it had all the right equipment. Since he was an Ohio State graduate he had to have it painted in silver and red! I really had to push to get it ordered with a Trac-Loc rear, as the dealer kept telling me how it would hurt the gas mileage (he was right it really gets bad gas mileage). Dad wanted it that way for peace of mind when launching his fishing boat.

When I took actual delivery he had me drive it straight to Ziebart to get a bed liner, mudflaps and rust proofing. I then took it to a trim shop and had a custom cover made for the bed in silver to match the lower paint. This was to be his retirement present to himself and he wanted it just so. We kept in our garage until the weekend he came over from PA for our walleye trip on Lake Erie. The afternoon he drove away in it we conceived our son, I always tell him how lucky he isn't named Walleye or Ranger!

Dad retired to SC shortly after and that's where the truck has spent all 40,000 miles of its salt free life. I cant count how many trips Dad and I took to the bait store to pick up shiners. Dads gone now and I really miss him, but that old truck really keeps the memories alive. I plan on having the hood fixed (a tree branch fell on it) and replacing the rotted bed cover with the same as before. The paint needs good buffing but it rust and dent free. Dad just replaced the radiator, hoses and battery this fall. Heck for a 21 year old it will look pretty good on cruise night.

ranger101 08-14-2010 10:13 AM

Re: Dads Truck

Wow. That's a BEAUTIFUL truck. The only thing I can see wrong with it is the dent on the hood. Please don't mod that thing. Leave it just as it is.

STL 08-14-2010 10:55 AM

Welcome to FRF

great looking truck

TerrenceStuart 08-14-2010 11:27 AM

welcome to FRF, Bill!

stephen 08-14-2010 12:05 PM

i saw that truck and said "wow" it is a thing of beauty. sorry about your dad and the best of luck to you and your truck.

and welcome to FRF.

prestidigitizer 08-14-2010 12:39 PM

Welcome - beautiful truck!

ER95 08-14-2010 04:09 PM

Welcome to FRF!

Soon as I saw that pic, I said 'Dam! That's clean' haha

Sorry to hear about the passing

snakeranger 08-14-2010 05:19 PM

Welcome to FRF. :) Sorry to hear about your dad. :( Beautiful ranger and I also say it should be kept the way it is not too many 2nd gen rangers are well kept like that.

Little red truck 08-14-2010 06:38 PM

Thanks for all the kind words!

I plan on keeping it totally stock, that's why I'm replacing the black wall 195 Kumos with 215 Firestone RWL. That's the way it came from the factory.

The hood will be replaced as well as most of the window felts and seals. The carpet just needs a good cleaning. I'm struggling with the radio as my ipod sounds rough through the am/fm cassette, however it is original.

And you're right you don't see many of these on the roads and particularly here in Ohio with all the road salt.

I went through some paperwork today and found the original IBM order cards, sales agreement ($12,330.00) and original owners / warranty card with Dads name on it. I also found a factory build sheet. I started a binder as I have all the maintenance records as well.

After the hood is fixed, the tarp replaced and I install the new tires I cant wait to hit the cruise in this Fall. I'll update with pictures as I go.

mad hatter 08-14-2010 07:26 PM

Welcome to FRF

Dcrymes99ranger 08-14-2010 07:30 PM

Wow that truck is awesome. I deff wouldn't mod it. That truck is TOTM worthy stock in my book. Btw, Welcome Bill to FRF!!!!!!!!!

01_ranger_4x4 08-14-2010 07:30 PM

wow Bill, beautiful truck and great story along with it. sorry about your father in law though. he sure took care of that truck though and im glad you got it, sounds like you will care for it as well as he did. welcome to FRF!

Ranger Sport 08-18-2010 06:42 AM

Welcome to FRF, i love a solid truck with a history :)

ObsoleteE 08-19-2010 06:52 PM

I feel ya man, I have my fathers truck. He died in 03. I will own it until its worthless.

dixie_boysles 08-19-2010 06:58 PM

welcome! yeha leave the truck with the exception on one thing----wheels, needs some chrome wheels