Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   Brakes squealing! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/15803-brakes-squealing.html)

JohnC 08-11-2010 07:02 AM

Brakes squealing!

Bought my Ford about a month ago, and two weeks in I noticed a very loud squeak. I decided last night I'd change the pads. I noticed on the first side I got to, the rotor seemed fine. I figured these things would look awful the way it's been carrying on. I also noticed the pads looked good too. :confused:

Just to be safe, I changed both side, and took it on a road test. At first I thought the noise was just a lot quieter. I pulled into a gas station and the loud noise was back and strong as ever. Again, the rotors looked good, IMHO. One of my buddies says I should have used brake cleaner, but I've never used it on all the different vehicles over the years.

Any thoughts or advice is welcome. Thanks.

sgtsandman 08-11-2010 07:24 AM

Re: Brakes squealing!

Check your caliper sliders to see if they are lubed. Also your contact point between the back of the pads and the caliper. If they are dry, they can squeak.

Also, check your back brakes at the contact points between the brake shoes and the splash guard, if they are dry they will squeak.

High temperature syntheic brake grease works very well.

JohnC 08-19-2010 08:40 AM

I put off taking them back apart last night (I'm lazy and the xbox calls my name when I get off work :cool: ), went to town with cleaner and lubes, and there's still a little squeak. My buddies and I decided it's the rear. It was ten and we'd been drinking (isn't that what you do when you work on vehicles?) so I decided to do them another time.

Am I safe to assume the rear is drum?

sgtsandman 08-19-2010 07:54 PM

It sounds like it.

Put a little brake grease on the contact points where the shoes touch the splash shield. There is probably a bare spot or two back there causing the squeak. It doesn't take much.

I also like to grease the points where the slave cylinder pushes the shoes, the bottom point that the shoes push against when the brakes are applied and where the adjuster contacts the shoes just to make sure.

ranger5572 08-19-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnC (Post 177251)

Am I safe to assume the rear is drum?

I sink so.

JohnC 08-20-2010 07:00 AM

Well, rear is next then. But I'm going to Birmingham for a BBQ, so it won't be this weekend. :D I'll update when I get the rear done.

jveigl 08-20-2010 07:37 AM

Be careful what kind of pads you buy, I've never had good luck with Advance or AutoZone pads. Those usually squeel for me. I bow down to Ford and buy their pads. They may cost a little more, but they definitely grab better, and they don't squeel! Check the drums when you get a chance, but most of your braking is done on the front when you hit the pedal. Rangers don't have dual proportioning braking systems so they still brake old school. Probably like 70% front to 30% rear when you hit the brake pedal (don't quote me on that). Barely put on the emergency brake and see if it gets louder as your driving. That would be one I would try on the back roads though. Just an idea.

JohnC 09-07-2010 10:56 AM

Thought I'd update this. I took off the back wheels and my friend had a thought of just cleaning them really good with brake cleaner. They looked dirty, but not wore too bad. I used 3/4 of a can on each and they sound just fine now.

desjardo 09-07-2010 12:42 PM

lol... I use so much brake cleaner at work i buy it by the case... So good for cleaning and degreasing on my machine...
And i love the pressure..
Man thing i guess..