Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   2.9 Liter Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/)
-   -   cheap horse power (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/15474-cheap-horse-power.html)

braydon 08-04-2010 06:05 PM

cheap horse power

hey does anyone know of cheap horsepower gain??? i know the two words dont go togather but that is all my wallet will let me say.. so anything cheap? any mods? anything???

Thanks for everyone that gives info or if you just wanna read go right ahead!

Fluffy 08-04-2010 06:18 PM

re: cheap horse power

a good cold aire intake. depending what motor you have. i got a volant for a steal on ebay. but msrp on the one i got was 240.40 no shipping charge.

Psychopete 08-05-2010 08:04 AM

Re: cheap horse power

Cheap horse power would have been you buying my old 2.9L when I still had it. Traded it even up with a '90 MAF PCM for a spare 5.0L and AOD for my Ranger. Engine swap is the way to go. Wish I would have done the 5.0L first instead of my built 2.9L, it was fun, IME a huge waste of money.

bagdranger 08-06-2010 07:31 AM

On my 2.9 i replaced the plugs with E3s and put a stronger coil pack from oreillys. Seems to have a little more pickup. But good maintenance and good airflow and youll be good to go. Intake and exhaust does good for starters.

braydon 08-06-2010 08:55 AM

are K&N air filters worth their money?? or should i just go cai

bagdranger 08-06-2010 12:06 PM

kn is a good drop in filter. Less resriction and good filtration. if you can get a cai go for it. the kn is worth it too.

FireRanger 08-06-2010 12:08 PM

Don't waste your money on those stupid CAI's.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/gener...-air-flow.html

Jp7 08-06-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fluffy (Post 167389)
a good cold aire intake. depending what motor you have. i got a volant for a steal on ebay. but msrp on the one i got was 240.40 no shipping charge.

wrong fluffy!

Fluffy 08-08-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp7 (Post 168648)
wrong fluffy!

and how is that wrong???? and as far as a K&N Filter they are not worth the 50 bucks at O'reillys. when i put mine in it made no change at all.

FireRanger 08-08-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fluffy (Post 170039)
and how is that wrong???? and as far as a K&N Filter they are not worth the 50 bucks at O'reillys. when i put mine in it made no change at all.

Because it's a fact. Aftermarket CAI's do nothing, as I explained in your other post.

Fluffy 08-08-2010 07:58 PM

then can you explain why there was absolutly no differance with a stock fram filter, and a K&N filter but with a cold air it made a differance in the response? And are you an expert or a certified tech of some sort?

Jp7 08-08-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fluffy (Post 170210)
then can you explain why there was absolutly no differance with a stock fram filter, and a K&N filter but with a cold air it made a differance in the response? And are you an expert or a certified tech of some sort?

Read the sticky.

And yes I am a certified AEM tuner.

Fluffy 08-08-2010 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp7 (Post 170220)
Read the sticky.

And yes I am a certified AEM tuner.

umm. what sticky???? im sure there are a lot of them on here. :marchmellow:

Fluffy 08-09-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp7 (Post 168648)
wrong fluffy!

hey man im sorry for being a smart ass yesterday. obviously you know more about it then me.

FireRanger 08-09-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fluffy (Post 170210)

(1) Because the K&N isn't supposed to gain you anything. It's an expensive vanity air filter. It's only benefit is that it is reusable... saving you from having to spend all of $5 once a year on a normal filter. Incorrect use by over oiling ruins your intake and sensors.

(2) Because it didn't make a difference in response. You just think it did. The human mind will feel that difference because it expects that difference. The same way people pour a bottle of octane boost in the tank, start the engine, and feel an immediate gain in power. It's all in your head.

(3) No I'm not certified in anything related to this. But people who are have proven what I'm saying.