Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   who all has rough idle in a 3.0? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/15406-rough-idle-3-0-a.html)

DHEM 08-03-2010 02:46 PM

who all has rough idle in a 3.0?

it seems to be problem with 3.0's, i got a really rough idle in mine, it almost feels like a misfire. But im wonder who has it, or who did what to fix it, im thinking seafoam and new plugs might do the trick

STL 08-03-2010 03:32 PM

Re: who all has rough idle in a 3.0?

May wanna clean your MAF and IAC first

DHEM 08-03-2010 03:45 PM

I was going to clean my MAF once i bought a new filter.

STL 08-03-2010 03:55 PM

if u have a factory throttle body cover (plastic probably sas 3.0 sohc) pull it off and the aluminum deal on top the throttle body is the IAC

DHEM 08-03-2010 04:02 PM

alright i'll give that a try

STL 08-03-2010 04:10 PM

Found my picture from when I just did mine. I just haven't had time to add them to the how to

http://i35.tinypic.com/15pjz1d.jpg

EMB1230 08-03-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL (Post 166610)
if u have a factory throttle body cover (plastic probably sas 3.0 sohc) pull it off and the aluminum deal on top the throttle body is the IAC

3.0's are ohv and have no writing on the TB cover. Just 2.3 'tecs and the 4.0 sohc do.

06ranger 08-04-2010 10:27 AM

i have a rough idle on my 3.0 but i just got done changing the plugs and tuning it up and its still a little rough but not as bad, might try to clean iac to see if that helps any other suggestions other than that and the maf?

zatticus 08-04-2010 10:33 AM

Mines gone rough a few times.
First time, I changed the sparkplugs, and air filter, and cleaned the MAF and all that. Fixed the problem.
Second time, I Changed the fuel filter and that seemed to fix the problem.

third time, Most recent.
It died on me, this morning

And I'm pretty sure its the alternator. The battery level was low yesterday, and the windows were rolling up reeeaaaaaaaaaaaally slow.

And my mom had to drive it to work this morning, and got like, 4 blocks and it died on her.

>_<

onerinconhill 08-04-2010 06:49 PM

Mine has a rough idle too, but haven't got it tuned up or cleaned anything (plan to when I can afford to get it done, not car smart enough to do it myself) but it's not really that bad, it's noticeable but hasn't ever died or anything. It's a pretty common problem from what I've seen. My temperature gauge quit working at around the same time, which I also see a lot on here.

Ranger01 08-07-2010 08:49 AM

I was just about to post this because it's pissing me off.
I have done
Fuel Filter
Injectors
Oem plugs
Underdog wires
Screamin demon coil pack
Replaced the IAC
Cleaned the MAF

It still runs really rough and i get cylinder 4 and 5 misfires about once every two weeks.

I am thinking a vacuum leak but have no idea where to check

zatticus 08-07-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger01 (Post 169185)
I am thinking a vacuum leak but have no idea where to check

Try the Brake Booster seal, I had to fix mine, about two months ago.

Fluffy 08-08-2010 01:35 PM

mine started when i pulled a 6x12 uhaul back from cali. had a mis fire on number 6 so i started with plugs, wires, and the coil pack. it got better but didnt go away. still had a misfire on number 6 everyone told me to run super and injector cleaner thru it. no change so i changed the injector and again still a little better but still there. next is the fuel filter.

barktreed 08-12-2010 05:37 PM

I just bought a truck with this engine in it and I SWEAR it is doing something odd too. The mechanic says I'm just to used to toyota engines and he can't here anything wrong but to me it sometimes sounds like its missing or dropping down then back up in idle speed. The mechanic and some other people told me that the condenser will cycle and cause that even when the AC is not on...is that true? Otherwise I have no idea what I'm hearing.

98blownranger 08-12-2010 06:32 PM

mine has a rough idle but with a little gas it is very smooth, I am thinking it may have to do with the motor mounts being soft