Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Stalls when brakes are applied, and an oil leak. (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/15382-stalls-brakes-applied-oil-leak.html)

Ol' Paint 08-02-2010 07:48 PM

Stalls when brakes are applied, and an oil leak.

I'v had this problem with my 2.0l for close to two years now:

If the engine is warm and I step on the brakes hard, it will stall and occasionally die. The problem is intermittent, but if I pump the brakes hard after the engine warms up I can usually get a drop of a few hundred RPM at least. If it's warm and I shut it off I'll have to hold down the gas to get it to start again. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, I have a decently sized oil leak somewhere on intake side of the engine. I haven't been able to find where it's coming from. At first I could have sworn it was the valve cover , but I replaced the gasket and torqued the bolts (they were loose as heck when I took it off) according to the Haynes book. There is oil all over the place on that side of the engine- the pan is soaked, the filter, and the block all the way up to a thick, conduit-looking line that runs under the Carb. (not sure if it's an oil line, coolant, or what). Again, anybody had similar problems? I tried cleaning her off and running it, but I can't see anything. If I drive it though, it'll be soaked again.

TheStig 08-02-2010 08:03 PM

Re: Stalls when brakes are applied, and an oil leak.

the line under the carb is probably an exhaust tube for the egr system....

as for your stalling problem, i'm thinking vacuum leak in the brake booster....

Ol' Paint 07-10-2012 03:33 PM

Is there any way to confirm that its a leak in the booster other than replacing it? The problem is intermittent, and only happens after the engine is warmed up.

zekew64 07-10-2012 05:38 PM

Get a vacuum tester, and hook it up between the booster and the hose that leads to the intake manifold.

Get the truck warmed up (but in one spot), and have an assistant pump the brakes. If you get a reading, and as the brakes are held down the pressure goes down, then you have a faulty hose or a defective booster.

Ol' Paint 07-12-2012 07:43 PM

Brake booster checked fine, although I did notice today that the stalling was independent of the brakes. The stalling only happens when I get it warmed all the way up, shut it off, and then restart it without waiting for the engine to cool most of the way down.

I just started driving Ol' paint again recently after she sat for a few months (repairing the shifter in the transmission), but as I recall, this is the exact same problem I was having before hand. I'm sure sitting didn't help the problem any but it got me thinking about the temperature. I still have a coil and a distributor, but is it possible that I also have a sensor somewhere that's going bad and effected by the high heat after shutdown?

jcube_04 07-12-2012 08:35 PM

Recently I saw a maf and tps do that. Check for a worn butterfly and worst case scenario you have worn out valve springs

Ol' Paint 07-13-2012 03:32 AM

As in the butterfly valve in the carb.?

jcube_04 07-13-2012 06:02 AM

Yeah, there would be no maf or tps and I dont have a lot of experience with carbs, but I have seen some worn out butterfly valves. And im not saying that the only two things it could be is the throttle or valve springs, they are just a couple things ive seen before