Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/)
-   -   What would be the most (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/15337-what-would-be-the-most.html)

Ranger Kid 08-01-2010 09:30 PM

What would be the most

Effective way to pick up horsepower cheaply. I have a few things put in if you read my signature. I just want to know what to put in to maybe get more milage and more power at the same time. Any suggestions.

sgtsandman 08-02-2010 11:33 AM

Re: What would be the most

There is no cheap way to get horsepower other than to keep up on your preventative maintenance.

For mpg, drive with a light foot and drive the speed limit.

Besides, you have the biggest engine available. Other than dropping a V-8 in it, you can't ask for more and either way, you ain't gonna get mpg like you have a car or a four cylinder...

Yrac 08-02-2010 11:42 AM

Sorry, Fact of Life.... Horsepower=Money

FireRanger 08-02-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger Kid (Post 165543)
horsepower cheaply

Two words that don't belong in the same sentance.

camodown 08-02-2010 12:02 PM

supercharger

if it is a cheap hp product. guess what, it doesn't do anything

Ranger Kid 08-02-2010 07:45 PM

Ok let me put it how I meant. What is the cheapest. Maybe cold air intake? I don't know much after that. Any other suggestions than a supercharger.

FireRanger 08-02-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger Kid (Post 166115)
Ok let me put it how I meant. What is the cheapest. Maybe cold air intake? I don't know much after that. Any other suggestions than a supercharger.

The answer hasn't changed. No there isn't anything that isn't expensive. Your truck already has a cold air intake from the factory.

Ranger Kid 08-02-2010 09:15 PM

No it has seprate air box. Not a cold air intake.
Cold air intake is an intake isolated from the engine compartment utilizing the cold air.
So your saying only thing i can do is shove a supercharger on it?

camodown 08-03-2010 12:14 AM

yes and how is a aftermarket intake seperated from the engine compartment?

FireRanger 08-03-2010 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger Kid (Post 166172)
No it has seprate air box. Not a cold air intake.
Cold air intake is an intake isolated from the engine compartment utilizing the cold air.
So your saying only thing i can do is shove a supercharger on it?

No, there are lots of things you can do. None are efficient when it comes to money. And yes, it does have a cold air intake. Trust me, starting a debate here about a CAI for your ranger will have you go down in flames.

Ranger Kid 08-03-2010 09:42 AM

Then what are those things I dont know much.
And all i know is that it has a air box I didnt know there was a cold air intake. Where is the cold air intake located at?

More_Cowbell 08-03-2010 10:32 AM

under the filter on the air box on mine it has a rectangle shaped thing that leads strait to the front of the truck hence its an cold air intake because its getting its air directly from outside of the truck

Ranger Kid 08-04-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

yes and how is a aftermarket intake seperated from the engine compartment
Usually the intake would be put.... here just watch this video.
This is what im talking about exatly

Ranger Kid 08-04-2010 12:24 PM

I have been told that, that comes stock on all cars and its called a Fresh Air Intake. Cold Air i think deletes the box and is strictly cold throughout.
Idk if I'm wrong but the video that I posted shows things different and almost the same thing as what everyone else is saying is stock on the car.

camodown 08-04-2010 01:39 PM

If you want go buy a $200 CAI and all you will have is a fancy looking intake that sucks up the exact same air as the stock intake or hotter air if you have an open filter in the engine compartment. There is nothing cold about it.

You will get a different sound out of it but there will be no power gains.